Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a macbook pro i bought granddaughter 18 birth

Customer Question

hi i have a macbook pro i bought for my granddaughter 18 birth day its new i opened it and i had a little play with it. it asked for a password ***** put a simple 3 letter word in as its not my laptop but now it wont let me in i put the 3 letter word in but it wont let me in how do i solve this thank you
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.
Hello there! Thats very strange but we can reset the password. Please follow the steps below to reset your password. 1. turn off mac2. Locate/push CMD (command key) and R keys3. Turn on mac while still holding the keys from step 24. Go to the Utilities menu and select Terminal5. At the prompt type ‘resetpassword’ (hit enter) This launches the Reset Password ***** to the Apple Menu and click Restart to boot back to the normal hard drive and the new password ***** let you login.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi i have done what you say but when i click terminal nothing promps me to type in resetpassword i have now on the laptop screen osx utilities with options restore from time machine reinstall osx get help online disc utility what should i do its still not letting me in its asking for my password ***** i put it in it does not respond

Ok no worries our other option is to reinstall the OSX but we must go to disk utilities first format the mac hd drive then reinstall the osx. That way we can have the option to set a password *****

1. turn off mac
2. Locate/push CMD (command key) and R keys
3. Turn on mac while still holding the keys from step 24. Go to the Utilities menu and select Disk utility. Select mac hd. Click format tab. Format mac hd with os extended journaled option selected.
4.Close disk utility window
5. Reinstall OSX.
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
Just go to the Apple Logo to System Preferences / Users & Groups and select the username you were logged in to, then select Change Password ***** in the one you just made as your Old Password ***** change it to something else you will remember and put in a hint too.
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Please make sure to follow the steps posted from before and let me know if you still have any issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi i have followed the steps posted but i still have the same issues it still is asking for the password ***** am not used to the macbook as i have windows on my computer so imight have made some mistakes i have now asked for a remote setting to solve the problem

Sure can you confirm you wanted johnny mack to receive that rating?
The reason I ask is so i can start a remote connection with you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi i have not given a rateing yet as i have not solved the problem

No worries! Follow the steps below to remotely connect to me. Click the link below and accept the terms/conditions. When you agree a file will download. Open the file and you will be connected to me. http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=18d2ef5c-b457-4e4d-97d1-092e980437ad&Type=Javaif your mac says it cannot open applications from unidentified developersChoose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click General. Click allow from anywhere then close window and open file again.
You can call me at the number below if you need further help.
I am still here no worries.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi a pal of mine visited me yesterday when i was trying to sort out the macbook he asked if he could help as he as a mac he looked at all your answers and found i had made some mistakes he rectafied the mistakes and the macbook is working okay now so i dont need the remote connection now i will leave the rating in each answere box many thanks

Sounds good please remember to rate this response.