Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My IMac is not responding to mouse or keyboard. Power is on.

My IMac is not responding to mouse or keyboard. Power is on. Screen is blank. New batteries in keyboard. Mouse is receiving current. On off switch toggled but makes no difference. Where to from here?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
Do you hear any beeps from your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No beeps. No sounds whatever. Dead dead dead.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Bob, it sounds like the logic board has failed and you’ll likely need to take it in to get it replaced. But before that, let’s check every possibility to be sure it isn’t something else in an effort to save you from that expensive repair.
The blinking light indicates that it has failed the POST (Power On Self Test). This also happens if there is any glitch in the hardware.
First reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;
Shut down the computer by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds.
Unplug the power cord and also disconnect all other devices.
Wait 20 seconds seconds.
Attach the power cord.
Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
If that didn't work, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;
Shut down your Mac by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds.
Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.
Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Bob, please see this article --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test#Macintosh_POST Your Mac will not give you chime/boing/boot sound if there is any fatal problem with the hardware components like RAM, logic board, power supplier etc. I want you to run SMC and PRAM resets above. So if this is any glitch with the hardware components, those will clear it. If that didn't work, then I want you to take out the RAM sticks from your Mac, clean them and boot using one stick at a time. This will tell us if there is any issue with the RAM sticks (check all RAM sticks). Refer this article --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201191 Please let me know the results Bob. I'm awaiting for your reply. Thanks