Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My elderly mother is running OS X v 10.5.8 on her mac at the

My elderly mother is running OS X v 10.5.8 on her mac at the moment and we are having trouble with Safari which seems to hang quite often and she complains that the "beachball" keeps going round. Should we be upgrading to a later version of OS X, another version of Safari, or choosing a different web browser?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question Safari usually hangs if there is any issue with its preference files. First we can reset Safari and see if it works or not. In Safari, click on Safari menu and select Reset Safari. Select all options and click Reset Safari. Close Safari. Then go to Macintosh HD > Library > Users > your home folder > Preferences folder and trash the file named com.apple.safari.plist file. Open and check Safari. Does it works now ? Upgrading the OS X is a great idea and it will fix issue with Safari. Could you please give me the details about the hardware of that Mac to I will let you know if your Mac is compatible with latest OS X? You can find it in Apple menu > About This Mac. Tell me about the RAM and processor. I'm awaiting for your reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I had already reset Safari earlier this week. When I went into the HD to look for the preference list file for Safari I couldn't find it. I have now reset Safari again and it has opened OK for now. Maybe we do just need to upgrade to a later OS X. The hardware spec is:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08

SMC Version (system): 1.1f5

Serial Number (system): CK6270LGVGZ

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB87651F

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Make sure you looked in right location. Another way to get to Preference folder is, click on Go menu in the the top bar and click Go To Folder. Type the following the command and press return. ~/Library/Preferences/ This will open the preferences folder. Now find and trash the com.apple.safari.plist file The latest version of OS X is version 10.10 Yosemite. But your Mac can only handle up to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. If you wish to upgrade to Snow Leopard, you can buy the Snow Leopard disc from here --> http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard Snow Leopard does support the latest version of other browsers like Firefox or Chrome. I'd recommend to upgrade to Snow Leopard as it will update Safari as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks - I found the right file by the method above - never noticed the Go to at the top of the screen before! I have deleted the previous preferences for Safari into the trash box.

The link you sent is for US and we are in the UK, so I will close down Safari when I've sent this to you, then open it again and look for the same file from Apple but in the UK version to order the software update. Then I just need to hope my 91-year-old mother remembers what her password ***** ***** this computer!!

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome ! Here is Snow Leopard from UK store --> http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard If she don't remember the password, then there is a way to reset it. Let me know if you need help with that.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, How is it going ?