Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Why can't i shut down my mac book

Customer Question

why can't i shut down my mac book
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information: The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X) Processor Memory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5

macbook air 13inch early 2014

processor 1.4 ghz intel core i5

memory 4gb 1600 mhz ddr3

graphics intel hd graphics 5000 1536mb

serial number CO2MHEJHG085

Ok do this: 1. Shut down the computer. 2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected. 3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time. 4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. 5. Press the power button to turn on the computer. 6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears. 7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts. 8. Release the keys and immediately hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If all is ok quit Disk Utility and select reinstall Mac OS X.