Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

Locked out of ipad. Just changed from Talk Talk to BT.

Hi, locked out of ipad. Just changed from Talk Talk to BT. Used to have a passcode but went into settings many months ago to delete passcode, now we are with a different phone supplier the ipad has reverted to wanting my passcode which I cannot remember. Help please.
Liz
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To clarify, this is the passcode to unlock the screen and use the iPad correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, passcode to unlock screen.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You will have to reset the iPad, there is no other way to remove this.
To do the reset
Connect the iPad to the computer and open itunes
Hold the power and home button down until you see
"iTunes has detected an iPAd in recovery mode..."
Click Restore iPad, let this complete and it should now work
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will be happy for you to do this work but I do not want to loose any info I have on my ipad, can you assure me that no documents will be lost.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
you will have to lose all data on the iPad. There is no way unless you can enter the correct code, to save your data on it. Not is you ever want to use the iPad again sorry. It is the whole point of the code, to protect this information,.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is so upsetting as I have lots of pictures and info on my son who was killed a few years ago, I cannot bear to loose all of this, surely there must be a way of resolving this, even at a cost.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I promise Liz, without any extra cost, if there was a way to do this without the reset I would. I can really understand the annoyance with this, but the whole reason for this security is so if someone steals the iPad they cannot get access to the data, only reset it. If this could be bypassed, Apple would have a huge problem.....
I know above anything you really do not want this to be the case, but it is sorry...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so sad to hear thisCry

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Im sorry Liz
When we get it back up and running I can tell you what to do to avoid losing any data in the future, but first you have to do this reset sorry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will leave it for now as I cannot bear to loose all the info. Thanks anyway.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok.. but if you ever wish to use it again and you cannot put in the correct passcode, then you will have to reset it.
I have marked this to never close, so when your ready, you can return here, no problem with this.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Rating obviously poor, but that is not your fault.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Why are you rating me poor?
How is this obvious? You have asked a question and I have provided the answer.
You never sought to backup the iPad so this is the situation your in...
I feel this is a very wrong thing to do Liz, because you never backed up the iPad and do not know the passcode, you make a complaint against me, because I have to tell you the reality of the situation. And on top of that I not only get a complaint for you, but no compensation for giving you the correct answer.
With respect, negative ratings only hurt experts here by reflecting negatively and can keep us from assisting other customers. They should be used for when an expert is rude or the information provided was wrong. While youay not like the answer I provided, it was correct, and I stand by it. If you need clarification or additional information about my answer I will be happy to provide it.
But its not how people should be treated Liz, especially people who are helping you.