Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

The RIGHT CLICK on my MacBook Pro (OSX) - has stopped working.

The RIGHT CLICK on my MacBook Pro (OSX) - has stopped working. Any suggestions please?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information: The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X) Processor Memory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OSX 10.9.5

4GB 1600MHz DDR3

Is this a mouse or the trackpad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Trackpad

What year was this MacBook made?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure but bought new approx >2 <4 years ago

OK try this: 1. Shut down the computer. 2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected. 3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time. 4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. 5. Press the power button to turn on the computer. 6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears. 7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts. 8. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2 queries to be sure I understand -

a. Is the "Option" Key the one labelled "cmd" or the "alt" key

b. Will I lose contact with you if the computer has to restart? - How do we link?

Bookmark this page to come back if you are outside of the USA yes it is the ALT key
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks - Do I hold the power button down for the 5 seconds so definitely goes off - or just a quick release? The P - R keys are both the P key and the R key (sorry if this sounds thick - unless P-R is a different USA key?)

It should already be off...? Yes the letter P and the letter R
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sadly no better - I went back into the table in my word document - highlighted 3 boxes in a row and tried to R click so I could merge them- just wen back to highlighting the first box. I reckon was accurate with your instructions...

OK sometimes the battery swells and causes this problem did you check System Preferences/ Trackpad? There are 5 ways to right click on the trackpad: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/five-ways-to-right-click-on-a-mac-trackpad/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not today before we started BUT I went through all my system preferences yesterday for first time to try and learn more - and wonder if I could have disabled anything??

Looking just now on Trackpad "Single click" is ticked but not "double click" - ? any significance

That depends on how you want to do it. Did you se the 5 ways to right click? http://www.cnet.com/how-to/five-ways-to-right-click-on-a-mac-trackpad/ You can tap with two fingers to right click also... secondary click is what you are looking for
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went back into SP and trackpad and clicked on 2nd option down so that a 2-finger press would work, leaving all other options enabled... went back into my document - NOW if a R click with 2 fingers the options to delete/merge et are displayed. If I try again just with 1 finger R click the previous fault occurs.... I've never previously had to R click with 2 fingers???? - BUT great improvement - any further clues?

As I said if the battery, which is below the trackpad swells it can cause this problem . You can have it loosened but that would require taking it to a service provider and it doesn't always work, sometimes you have to replace the battery to fix it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could there be anything else other than the battery?

Could I have disabled it during my self tutorial yesterday?

I am very impressed with your kind prompt and helpful service.

I note the option of monthly sub... not sure I need it at present - my main concerns are with getting in a muddle with Dropbox (+Carousel) and iCloud handling of my photos - the uploading of which has filled my iPhone - I appreciate these are further details, and I probably need to find a different site or find a tutorial - any comments as to where Just Answer stands o this sort of query - otherwise I think we may be nearly finished - look forward to one more reply-Thanks

You need to look for Secondary click in the System Preferences / trackpad... any other questions require you to start a new question, thanks. You can ask for me here: askmikethemacmedic.com
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.