Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

This morning I tried to load an update on my I phone 4s and

This morning I tried to load an update on my I phone 4s and now the phone is not working . all I can get is a charging cable with an arrow abouve it pointing to aan iTunes logo. How can I get my phone back to normal? I have tried to restart it on a number of occasions without success. O2 were about as much use as a chocolate fire gard and I cant seem to be able to get anywhere with iTunes help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. The firmware/software of your iPhone has been corrupted during the update. Your only option is force-restore the iPhone to factory settings through iTunes by putting it to recovery mode, which will erase everything from it. But if you had backed up your iPhone to iTunes on your computer or iCloud, then you can restore all your data back after restoring your iPhone from iTunes/iCloud. You can also redownload all your past purchases for free using the same account. Follow the steps below to restore your iPhone by putting it to recovery mode. First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.Open iTunes application on your computer.On your iPhone press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time for 10 seconds or until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.Click Restore or Restore and Update button. Note : Put it to recovery mode while connected to computer and also in recovery mode your iPhone will show USB cable pointing to iTunes logo. And it will take a while to restore it. Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem. Remember, this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work please don't rate me bad or poor. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your help I am awaiting iTunes to download the software, however it has just told me that there is a problem and does not seem to be able to sort it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
What problem ? What is exact error you are getting ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have retried the process as soon as it gives me the problem code again in will let you know
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. FYI The firmware file is almost 2GB in size, so you need an consistent high speed internet connection or the download will be interrupted. You can restore your iPhone from any computer with iTunes installed. If you get any errors, please try restore it again and this time restore it by putting it to DFU Mode instead of recovery mode. connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.Open iTunes application on your computer.On your iPhone press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.Click OK or Restore Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPhone will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Let me know the error you've received.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The iPhone is not showing anything on the screen except the charger cable a small arrow and the iTunes symbol. it is otherwise unresponsive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have now got the choice of update or restore iPhone which do I choose?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
It is in recovery mode, but not in DFU Mode. In DFU Mode the screen will be black but iTunes on computer still recognize it as in recovery mode and this will allow you to force restore it. Keep trying. It will take a few tried to get it in to DFU Mode.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You need to restore it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is now telling me that it cannot find the iphone
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Disconnect the iPhone and restart your PC. Then connect it back to your PC and put it to DFU Mode. Make sure you do the steps exactly and iTunes will allow you to restore it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I put it in DFU mode Is this an option on the computer?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No, but it is the something you do on your iPhone. Follow the steps below to put it to DFU Mode. Connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.Open iTunes application on your computer.On your iPhone press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode (timing is critical here)Click OK or Restore Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPhone will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. Otherwise it will not go into it. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The error number it is giving me is Unknown (-18) ????
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
That indicates an issue with your network connection. Disable all AntiVirus or Firewall application temporarily and attempt to restore again. If it fails again, let me know and we can manually download the firmware and restore it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The phone screen has the apple symbol with a line underneath it is this a goo sign?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Do you see restoring process on iTunes ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes its at the top of the screen.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Great ! Let it complete.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
How is it going ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its working thanks.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome ! If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit. Then only I will get credit for helping you.
Have a great day,
Ashik