Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

Ten days ago, my email page stopped showing emails,

Customer Question

Ten days ago, my email page stopped showing emails, although I can still see them coming in and decreasing in number as I open them on my laptop. I just have a white page with symbols on the top showing the 'forward' arrow and 'write' etc. I have tried holding down the two buttons simultaneously until the iPad turns off and on again, but no luck.
This afternoon I upgraded to Version 9.0, but no change except that the symbols at the top of the page have disappeared. I would be very grateful for any advice.
Thanks,
Robin Edleston
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
When you held the two buttons, was it the home and power buttons and did you hold these down until you see the Apple Logo and then released the buttons?
If not, do this please and tell me if it now functions. If you did, please let me know so we can go to the next step.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, Richard, that is exactly what I did. I haven't tried it since upgrading to Version 9 a few minutes ago, but can do so if you advise me to. Let me know. Thanks,

Robin

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, Do it now please to rule this out and let me know the results please Robin. It only takes a minute. Ill be here waiting for the results.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did it while waiting for your reply; no change sadly.

Robin

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problemCan you go to Settings, Mail and press on your email account there and then press Delete Account.Once done, go to Settings, Mail and add the email account again to the iPad and it should then functionLet me know the results pleaseThank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Richard,

I'm stuck!

I have two email accounts listed, BT and iCloud. I tried the BT one first; deleted it, and tried adding it as a new account, but it didn't accept my password. BT have b*ggered us about so much during the past few years that my password ***** changed several times. I've kept a record of them all and worked backwards until I've found one which appears to be acceptable.

However, the headings 'Host Name', 'Username' for incoming mail server are greyed out, as are the three outgoing server headings, and I don't know what these should be. The example for the Host Name in incoming is 'mail.example.com' so it's probably BT something, and the 'Username' is required, but I don't know it.

Any ideas, or can I reinstate the Account as it was and have another look?

Robin

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you need to reset your password ***** pleaseCLICK ME TO OPENThen use this new password ***** sign inFollow the instructions here to add it to the iPad pleasehttp://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46673/~/setting-up-your-bt-email-account-on-a-mobile-deviceLet me know the results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Richard - done, no problem setting up the account and the 'Host Name', 'User Name' etc filled themselves in. However, still just a blank white page when I tap the 'Mail' icon at the bottom of the home page.

Robin

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, so if you press home, nothing at all shows up Robin on the iPad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't need to press 'Home', it automatically returns to 'Home' after a short time.

I have again turned it off holding the on/off button and the home button simultaneously until the 'Apple' reappears, but still no luck.

I would like to say, Richard, that I greatly appreciate your help. I do know my way around my Acer laptop and my iPad pretty well, and can solve the few queries I have. However, this one has me stumped!.

Robin

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, as its an inbuilt app, we will need to reset the device, it is going to remove all data from the iPad and return it to new, but this we cannot avoid.To do this, first backup anything you wish to keep.Then go to Settings, General, Reset, Erase all content and reset settings.Let this complete and when it has, then setup the iPad again like when you first received it.Once done, add the mail account again and tell me please if it now functions.Let me know the results please Robin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had read of this option this afternoon while researching and trying various options, but it sounded a bit too drastic for my liking. I am in the process of backing up now; I thought iCloud did it automatically all the time, but according to the timer, it still has two hours to run! Presumably you're not going to wait for me forever, so what do we do now?

You say above 'then set up the iPad again like when you first received it'. I didn't set it up originally - it was done by the man who used to help my wife and I occasionally, but he has left the county. Is it something I can do, or does it need be be set up by someone who has been trained?

One final thing has occurred to me, and that is this problem occurred when I successfully emailed some photos from my iPad, and wanting to send the same photos to someone else, went into my 'sent' box, and tried forwarding the email. That's when it crashed.

I've just checked my iPad, and the back-up time has now gone up to four hours! Broadband is notoriously slow in this part of Dorset, and presumably I shall have exceeded your £36 fee. What's the position? Frankly, I'd like to get on with some work outside while it's still light, and check back again later. Please advise.

Robin

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no, there is no exceeding the fee, its until its finished, so just reply when you have done the full instructions and we can then take it from there.Setting it up is easy, it will lead you through this and you sound more the capable Robin! and of course, you get stuck, let me know here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's very good of you, Richard; however, it's now gone up to six hours, by which time I shall have gone bed! I'm going outside to cut the grass, and will check back in an hour. Could you please reply to this, just saying 'OK' so that I can then write to you again with a final decision. I certainly think you've earned your money, and told me what to do next. Even if I b*gger it up, I can still receive emails on the iPad via BT (slow access) rather than the 'Mail' icon, and on my computer. It's just useful when we're away.

If we can't get any further within my time limits, I'll carry on as you suggest and happy to pay the fee.

I'll contact you as soon as I come in - about 7.30pm.

Robin

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem, you rate me when you are happy with my service, no matter how long that takes :)
Richard, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple Computers Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, Richard; I'm back on, and this is being sent to you from my iPad. Thank you so much for your help and patience. I reset the system during the late evening, and apart from having to adjust some of my settings this morning, it seems to have been easy enough.
Please claim the money and I shall be very happy to give you a good report.
Best wishes,
Robin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
I sent you an email from my iPad at about 07.30 this morning, but can't see it in my 'sent' box. As I haven't heard from you, I wonder if it arrived. Please let me know if this arrives.
Robin
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robin, it did arrive and great to hear everything worked out!
If you ever need anything else, please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Richard.
If I have any more problems, can I get hold of you directly? I don't mean moonlighting, I'm very happy to pay, but If I go on to the Apple web-site, how do I find you again?
Robin
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Of course, just post a message here and we can make a new question out of it.
Can be for anything, Phones, PC, Mac, Network ect.
Anything technical
Thanks!