Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

I have just downloaded Adobe InDesign 2015 but cannot open

Customer Question

I have just downloaded Adobe InDesign 2015 but cannot open it as I 'lack permissions'. I have looked in the online forums and changed the permissions to Read and write in the 'sharing and permissions' file, but it still won't work. This may be because
i don't have version 7.0, only 9.0 and later, but I haven't a clue. Any help welcome!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.
Hello there! You might have permission issues with files that are being used. Please follow the steps below to fix this issue.Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process when you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots eventually you will see the OS X Utilities screen., select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column, if there are two or it is named something else choose the first indented item, and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK in green type then select Repair Permissions.If that is ok quit Disk Utility and Reinstall
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I did exactly as you said and repaired permissions. Reinstalled InD but still get the same error message saying I lack sufficient permissions. I have installed Photoshop 2015 and Lightroom 2015 with no problems. Only Indesign won't work. Any further suggestions?
Yes we can do the following to reset adobes permission files.
Step 1:
In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder.
Step 2:
In the Go To Folder dialog and type
~/Library
Click Go.
Step 3:
Open the Caches Folder > Open the InDesign folder > select Version 9.0 and Right Click to select Get Info
• Unlock the Security lock in the bottom right hand corner
• Under Sharing and Permissions, Click the “+” to add User (yourself) will display under Name
• Under Privilege it will say Read Only, change this to Read & Write
• Then select the Settings Icon (cogwheel) and Select Apply to Enclosed Items
Step 4A:
Open the Preferences Folder > Open the InDesign folder > select Version 7.0 and Right Click to select Get Info
- Follow the same bullet point steps listed above under Step 3
Step 4B:
In the same InDesign folder > select Version 9.0 and Right Click to select Get Info
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that's the standard fix I already tried when I found it online. But I don't have a version 7.0 only 9.0 and 11.0 Perhaps this is the problem?
If it doesnt work in safe mode then its a software compatibility issuePlease turn off your mac and holding the shift key while your power up your mac. YOu will want to hold the key until you see the apple icon.
Also if you want I can remotely connect and try to figure out the issue that way as their still could be plugin issues etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please, would you connect remotely as I think there could be some other issue.
Sure just accept the additional service request that way i can create a remote link.
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Were you waiting for me to restart in safe mode? I haven't done so as I don't think this will solve the problem. I can open InD CC, the version of the programme from 2013 with no problem. It's just the updates of 2014 and 2015 that don't work. I have urgent jobs in progress and I need this issue sorted out soon.
Sorry i didnt get a notification showing you accepted the offer. Click the link below then accept the terms http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=31c9304d-7fd0-4c22-9d94-58bd09e4ce19&Type=Java if your mac says it cannot open applications from unidentified developersChoose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click General. Click allow from anywhere then close window and open file again. We can change this back later.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Had to update my Java first. But in the meantime, my employer in the States has been on the phone. She thinks it could be an issue with her corporate subscription to Creative Cloud. So before you start checking my computer we are going to contact Adobe support. I'll get back to you later when we have talked with them. May not be today UK time as it's nearly 9pm.
No worries just post back when you can :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We finally resolved my issue at 11pm UK time with Adobe customer support. Turns out I needed permissions changed in many places, not just in the ones you suggested earlier. So I don't need your extra service this time. Thanks, Kirsty
glad your issue was resolved:)