Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I've tried to open my MacBook Air today and I have received

Hi - I've tried to open my MacBook Air today and I have received a message stating the start up disk is nearly full.
I have tried to login and I get a white screen - can you help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. Your Mac needs at least 10 GB of free space to work properly. It has crashed because your Mac didn't have enough free space available. We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if it works or not. First reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below to reset the PRAM and NVRAM Shut down your MacRestart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same timeHold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.Release the keys and let the Mac bootup. If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your keyboard for 15 seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode. Does it boot into Safe Mode ? Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Remember, this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work please don't rate me bad or poor. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have got a message box OS X UTILITIES with options
Restore from time machine
Reinstall OS X
Get help on line
Disk utility
Which option should I use ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You are in Recovery mode now. Click Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (Macintosh HD), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your keyboard for 20 seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok - repair has completed - last message States updating boot support partitions for the volume as required - do I need to wait for a message for this to complete or can I restart ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Which one was completed ? Repair permission or repair disk ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Repair disk
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Repair Disk again.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If it doesn't require any repair, then restart and immediately hold down Shift for 20 seconds. Ignore the last message regarding updating boot support...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok back to log in screen - message States your start up disk is almost full etc - I noticed my disk space is 120.45 and used is 120.23 !!
Do I continue to log in as normal ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes login
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blank screen again
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you have access to another Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - just my iPhone for this conversation
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command when it boot into black screen with white letters... /sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy) If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk -fy Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes type reboot and hit return.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok - logged in again.
Some blank screen
Looks like I need more capacity ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we need to free atleast 2GB so that Mac will bootup. Lets clear some old temporary system files from your Mac. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command when it boot into black screen with white letters, hitting return after each commands. Make sure you enter them correctly and note the spaces between commands. mount -uw /rm -rf /Library/Caches/*rm -rf /Users/*/Library/Caches/*reboot Hit return after entering reboot and then immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. Then login to your account. Let me know if you get any errors when you run the commands.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mount uw /
Message States I must specify a filesystem type with t.
?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Make sure you enter it correctly. mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press return> Does it work ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
There is a - before uw and a / after a space after uw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's worked
What next to sort out capacity ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to login to your desktop now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes !
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I want you to get rid of as many as unwanted files, movies, photos etc from your Mac and empty the Trash. This is the only way to get some hard disk space. Download the OmniDiskSweeper application from here --> https://www.omnigroup.com/more/ Open it and it will tell what files are using up the space. If you see any unwanted files, movies etc then delete them. Make sure you don't delete any main applications or libraries like iPhoto or Photos or iTunes Library.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Remember, if you don't delete some files now and empty the trash, your Mac will crash again.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
How is it going ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In progress - have deleted a couple of films and am deleting trash - seems to be taking a while !!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Good. Check how much space you have gained. Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. Click More Info. Click Storage and you will see the storage details there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
16.13 GB Free
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That is fine. Make sure it don't drop below 10GB.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Your Mac will work now without any problems. If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit. Then only I will get credit for helping you. Have a great day,Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc