Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Why is it that mac computers seem more resilient to viruses

Hi, why is it that mac computers seem more resilient to viruses and trojans?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
The simple answer is that viruses or trojans usually affect the system or root files. Mac OS X environment simply will not allow anything to modify the system files without your permission. Even the legitimate applications can't be installed on the OS X without user permission.
What I'm saying is it is simply impossible to get something to run without administrator privileges on an Mac OS X machine. Mac will ask for admin username and password ***** time you install something that affect the system files.
FYI there are some malwares or adwares out there that affect Macs browsers, but those can be easily removed and won't affect system files. These are just browser hijackers and won't affect the system files or user files.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
To be clear, it is the OS X (operating system) of the Mac that is more resilient to viruses and trojans. So if you install Windows on your Mac (which is possible), you will get viruses on it (on Windows).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, understood. So what virus / trojan protection do you recommend from all that are out there for windows and what about for mac to protect against browser hijacking? Thanks

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi, You don't need any protection software for Mac actually. The only things you should do are, do regular software updates from Apple, don't install anything from untrusted sources, ignore scam messages (like viruses found, cleaning required alert etc messages you get while browsing internet etc) etc and you should be fine. But if your Mac is infected with browser hijacking things, the only application you need to remove with one click is this one --> https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/ Good news is that it is FREE !
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If you plan to install Windows on Mac, then you should install AntiVirus on Windows side, not on Mac side. I myself use AVG Internet Security on Windows side and nothing on Mac side. Some others are better than AVG. They all do kind of same job. It is a matter of preference. Just google "Best AntiVirus for Windows 2015" and you will see some with their ratings based on user preferences. See here --> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp Another one --> http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/security/best-antivirus-for-pc-laptop-2015-uk-free-3263332/