Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

IMac 21.5 inch Corei3 mid 2010 (serial no W8105053DB7, model

iMac 21.5 inch Corei3 mid 2010 (serial no W8105053DB7, model A1311.
The HD died and I replaced it. Now when I turn on, using 'option' key, it will accept the command to run the OS x install disc (Snow Leopard).
It will display the 'apple' logo on a white screen and then the keyboard & mouse 'die'. The screen remains with the apple logo and the HD fan is running.
I have tried 'cmd + R, cmd + S (keyboard will not respond), start in 'safe mode', and just about everything else.
The HD will work with another mac and the optical drive is working.
Is there any other path I can take or is it Recycle time?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
1. Shut down the computer.2. Unplug the computer's power cord.3. Wait fifteen seconds.4. Attach the computer's power cord.5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.8. Release the keys. Then try booting from the disk again.