Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Can you help me please? I have purchased a Mac Book Pro

Hi, can you help me please? I have purchased a Mac Book Pro secondhand on-line but when I start it up, it's first screen is asking for and administrator password. I have had many messages from the guy I bought it from and all he can tell me is that he just returned it to it's default settings and wasn't aware of any pass word. Any clues as to how I can use it?
Steve Price
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
Restart the Mac.Right after you hear the chime, press and hold the Command and the R keys for a few seconds, then release. When booting is complete, you'll see a window of "OS X Utilities." You won't do anything there. Instead, you'll go to the Menu bar at the top and select Utilities > Terminal. In the terminal window type the following and hit the Return key. resetpassword ***** new window will open. Click on Macintosh HD and select the desired user account in the popup. Then enter the new password ***** A password ***** is optional. Click "Save."Go back to the Apple Menu at the top. Select OS X Utilities > Quit OS X Utilities. That will prompt you to restart the Mac.