Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have recently installed EL Capitan as an update and

Customer Question

I have recently installed EL Capitan as an update and since then a) Safari doesn't work (I get the message, safari quit unexpectedly), neither does my Microsoft Outlook which provides a similar message. Other microsoft applications work such as excel and word - I am working off an IMAC - can you advise / assist
Graham
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. Do you have another browser on that computer ? Firefox or Chrome ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ashik - I dont Im afraid.....
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you have access to another computer now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, just noticed I have google chrome, yes I do I am working from my lap top.......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Google chrome works.......
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Great ! First lets fix Safari. After that we can fix Outlook.
If your Mac is infected with adware or malware, this would cause Safari is crash. So first, we have to make sure there are no viruses on that Mac.
Open Chrome and go to this website --> http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php
Download the Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
Run and scan with it and this will find and remove all the adware/malwares from your Mac.
Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has found something called pup.zipcloud, should I remove selected items ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Remove it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok done..
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open Safari now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im getting the same message as before.......
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Run a scan with Malwarebytes again. Does it find anything now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It hasn't found anything, should I try and restart the computer ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Please do. If it still not working, then we can fix Safari manually trashing some old preferences files.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked for a split second and then crashed........
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Follow the steps below; In Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will open the Library folder of your user account. If you see Safari folder there, then trash it. Then open the Preferences folder. Trash the file named com.apple.Safari.plist and trash the com.apple.Safari.plist.lockfile if you can find it. Go back to Library folder, open the Containers and trash com.apple.Safari folder if you see it there. Now open Safari. Does it work now ? Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't find the following :-trash com.apple.Safari folderI have tried to launch Safari, my favourites etc have disapeared but the same thing happened as before, it just quit
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Something is preventing it from launching. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups. Create a new admin account. Log out from Apple menu and login to new account. The new account will be blank. This is to Safari and outlook. Are you able to open Safari and Outlook on new account ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can open Safari, but outlook is not associated with the new user ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Because new account is blank. But does Outlook open ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does, but its as if I am setting up a new account......?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
So the problem is with old account. Your old account was corrupted somehow. Do you have an external hard drive there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't Im afraid........
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Login to your old account. Hold down Option and open Outlook. Does it give you a Database Utility screen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Rebuild it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do this also and let me know the results. Go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (Macintosh HD), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would not let me rebuild it, it said could not rebuild your database - should I chose an earlier data base ? - do you want me to do the second part ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid the update has corrupted everything in old account. The applications are fine, but the database are the ones that were corrupted. Yes, do second part
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean the first aid icon ? - I can not select repair permission
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes. It is under First Aid. Don't you see Repair Permission button ? You have to select Macintosh HD first
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I click on first AID i GET THE OPTION TO RUN, it says it will repair the volume if necessary - no reference to repair permission though
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Are you in Disk Utility ? See this sample picture --> http://www.mac-lab.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/repair_permissions.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am, but that isn't the option I get when I click on first aid
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you select Macintosh HD at left column ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you see Repair Disk there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there are two options - here is the photo
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Oh Yes. Ok. Run it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok done
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Any errors ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None - checked in details also -says none
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok, open Word or Excel. Click on Help menu at the top bar and select Check for Updates. Install all updates. Then rebuild the Outlook database again. If it still not working, then we will have to switch to new account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well, this is weird ! - outlook works, but safari still doesn't ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Great ! Lets continue troubleshooting Safari. Hold down Shift key on your keyboard and open Safari. Does Safari open now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Now, click on Safari menu and select Preferences. Click Privacy tab. Click Clear Website Data and clear it. Then click on Safari menu and select Clear History. Clear All History. Restart Safari.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok done it, went to the bbc website it stayed open for a while then just quit .......
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Close Safari. Then in Finder click on Go menu and select Library. Open Caches folder and trash the file/folder named com.apple.Safari Then open Internet Plugins folder and trash all files from there. Hold down Shift and open Safari. Click on Safari and select Preferences. Click on Extension and if you see any extensions there, delete them. Then turn off Extensions in there. Close Safari. Then click on Go menu and select Go To Folder. Type the following command and press return /Library/ From the Library folder, open Internet Plugins folder and trash all files. Open Safari. Does it work now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no internet plugins folder ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Under both Library folder ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you check both Library folders ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing in the internet plug in folder is that ok ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Open Safari.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have still no joy, when I type in a website - it opens then crashes
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can I connect to your Mac and check the issue and try to fix it while you watch ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes please
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Go to this link --> https://www.fastsupport.com/656292025 An application will be downloaded. Open it and open Citrix Online Launcher and give permission to connect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shall I do that via google chrome on the terminal that is broken
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, do via Chrome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok all done
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
connected
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You can reinstall your Mac OS X. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one and that should fix the problems. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ashik - I have just re installed it as per your instruction and sadly Safari doesn't work, the remaining applications do "?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Does Safari crash in new account ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does......
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting out of ideas. I've one more suggestion. If that didn't work, then I will opt out and open this question to other experts in here.
I want you to enable root account, then trash Safari. To enable and login to root, follow the instructions in here --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012
AFter log in to root, go to Applications folder and trash Safari. Login in back to your account (disable root)
Then I will send you a different copy of Safari ASAP which you can download using Chrome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get to point 7 and then can go no further ? - where do I enter administrator name ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
In Directory Utility window, click on Edit menu on the top and enable root. I've found a Youtube video, see this video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upD33OIkRvA
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
After trashing Safari, download this Safari --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvo2maw9coaym93/Safari.zip?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, how do I log into Root as I have enabled it ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Logout from Apple menu. This will bring user accounts screen. Click Other. In the Name field, type--> root In the Password ***** type the password ***** set for the root account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing seems to be happening, just a black screen ? - the user name I typed was root - should I have put the other characters prior to the letters ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No, root is correct. Can you restart and try to login to root again ? If not, login to your account. Download the copy of Safari from this link --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvo2maw9coaym93/Safari.zip?dl=0 Does that Safari work ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its just a black screen with a cursor ? - shall I turn it on and off at the back ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says I cant delete safari as its required by the system, although when I use safari on the root log in / account its fine and works - how can I delete safari from the old account and re install ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean you can't delete Safari from root ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it didnt let me as it said that OS needed safari ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you move Safari to Utilities folder ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do this. Open Terminal from Applications > Utilities folder. Type the following command and press return sudo rm -rf Safari.app/ Type password ***** asked. Press return. Does it delete Safari ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, but how do I do the first point !?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I type the command ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it !
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didnt ask me for a password, nor has it deleted safari ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Is Safari still under Applications folder ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, might not be relevant, but historically I found safari very slow and thought it was my internet connection, using safari on the new user accounts is lightening quick in comparison
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open Terminal Type this command and then click and drag Safari icon from Applications folder and press return sudo rm -rf After entering -rf, put a space and then click and drag Safari icon from Applications folder to Terminal window and it will add the path/location of Safari. Then press return. Did that remove Safari ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says operation not permitted........
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The command was blocked in El Capitan. El Capitan doesn't allow you to delete it normal way. You have to delete this way.Restart and boot into OS X Utilties screen by holding down Command and R keys. This will boot into OS X Utlities screen. Click on Utilities menu at the top and select Terminal. Then type the following command. csrutil disable; reboot Press return. After rebooting, open Terminal and delete Safari using Terminal (type the commands below and press return after each line) cd /Applications/sudo rm -Rf Safari.app
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the last command is not Photos. It is sudo rm -Rf Safari.app
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
How is it going ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ashik - sorry I have been away for a bit hence the delay, the last time we spoke we were going to reinstall OS, is this still the case, can you send me steps on how to do this ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Graham, Yes, but we have to get rid of old Safari first. Then only new one will be installed. Do this please. Restart and boot into OS X Utilties screen by holding down Command and R keys. This will boot into OS X Utlities screen. Click on Utilities menu at the top and select Terminal. Then type the following command. csrutil disable; reboot Press return. After rebooting, open Terminal and delete Safari using Terminal (type the commands below and press return after each line) cd /Applications/sudo rm -Rf Safari.app Did that remove Safari from Applications folder ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ashik - do I have to do this on my old user account ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says enter password ***** is this my log in password ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, login or admin password.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, login or admin password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its saying no such file or directory ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Are you in Terminal after logging into desktop or the Terminal of OS X Utilities screen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Terminal in desk top
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Assuming you ran the first command in Terminal of OS X Utilities, type this command and then click and drag Safari icon from Applications folder and press return sudo rm -rf After entering -rf, put a space and then click and drag Safari icon from Applications folder to Terminal window and it will add the path/location of Safari. Then press return
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its asking for a password, but then I cant type anything in the field ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You can type the password ***** you won't see it. Just type the password ***** press return
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says rm : illegal option ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Make sure you write the commands correct. Try again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have, it says no such file of directory
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You ran that command successfully on Nov 5 and you got this message then "operation not permitted". Can you please try again ? Type sudo rm -rf put a space and then drag Safari from Applications folder to Terminal and press return
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done this twice and got the same message
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you download the new Safari I sent you ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No because we are trying to delete the old version first and have not managed to do this ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Download Safari from here --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvo2maw9coaym93/Safari.zip?dl=0 Put it on desktop and can you use that Safari ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wont let me open it as developer not confirmed ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Go to System Preferences > Security and Privacy and allow it to open from there. You can set it to anywhere to open apps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hasnt worked, same message as before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
System is extremely slow also
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I just don't understand why Safari isn't working. I'm getting out of ideas. Do the steps below to speed up Mac Shut down your MacRestart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same timeHold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.Release the keys and let the Mac bootup. Then Go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (Macintosh HD), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Let me know the results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All ok no problems,,,,,,,,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Reinsatlling without getting rid of old Safari will provide no results. Open Applications folder. Right click on Safari, scroll down and under Users & Permission, can you give permission to all users ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right click ? - I work off a apple mouse - this doesn't make sense to me
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is right click on Macs as well. You can turn it on from System Preferences > Mouse Hold down Control and do a normal click and this will also act as right click
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no option for users and permissions ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It is at the bottom. You have to scroll down
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it is Sharing and Permissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its under get info !? - and no it doesn't give me that option
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
See this pic --> http://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/20130208-04-SharedFolder.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unless its read and write ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Make it read and write to all users
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Admin isn't there, I have everyone x 2 and system and wheel ?, can make the change to all ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Click on the small up and down arrow and can't you change the permission (Read & Write) for all users there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can, for every option that is listed - Im just letting you know that there is no name convention entitled administrator
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It's ok. It will be different for different Macs. Now can you trash Safari from there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes done
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Safari is gone ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I still have the second version, do I trash that as well ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both gone, heard the trash sound and it has removed it from the dock
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Now, reinstall your OS X. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X. Hopefully this will install a working version of Safari. Do you have any third party applications like Firewall, NetNanny etc installed on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only have the microsoft office package word, excel, outlook etc, Im reinstalling now but its the el capitan version, which appears to have caused all of the problems in the first place ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If this doesn't work, then we can do a fresh install OS X after backing up your files. This will definitely fix the the issues with system and also make system faster.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** it will take some time so will keep you updated
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Ashik - reinstalled as per yesterday, it has reinstalled a copy of safari, but sadly I am getting the same message ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It also seems slower than ever......
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning. El Capitan installation completely messed up everything. I'd recommend to backup everything on your Mac and do a fresh install of OS X. DO you have an external hard drive ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't but I will go and buy one later and come back to you re advice as to how to proceed....
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you should get one. It is a must have device. After backing up the files, we can install a fresh version of El Capitan. You do have the Office installation discs and also its serial number. Right ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I first purchased the microsoft products excluding outlook - I then purchased outlook, I don't seem to have the product key for this but there are a number of serial numbers on the packaging etc - can I retrace it from them ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes. But first I want you to get an external drive to backup your files
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will sort and come back to you later
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Morning Ashik - sorry I haven't been back to you - things a little crazy ! - I have now got the back up disk - can you talk me through the steps etc - thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.
Good Morning. Connect the backup drive to your Mac. Then go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your backup hard drive in the left column. Under Erase tab, select Mac OS Journaled / Extended
Then click the Erase button and it will be formatted for Mac. After erasing, your Mac will ask you to setup Time Machine. So click Yes or Yes. Then go to System Preferences> Time Machine. If it is off there, turn it on. Then you will see the time machine icon at the top bar. Click it and click Backup Now button.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It hasn't asked me to set up time machine ?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I bought a seagate back up plus drive, which indicated that it would wrk on either a PC or Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.
Yes, we need to erase it first though. Did you erase it ?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I erased the blank seagate disk, yes.....
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.
Open Time Machine from Applications folder or from System Preferences. Turn it on. Click Select Backup Disk and select the Seagate disk. Then you will see the time machine icon at the top bar. Click it and click Backup Now button.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Before I do that,just to be sure there are 2 external seagate drives, I erased the seagate backup plus drive, not the Seagate BUP Slim SL Media - is that ok ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.
You have to erase the main Seagate drive. Go to Disk Utility again. Click on Seagate in left (in the main one, not the intended ones) then erase it. Then use Time Machine to backup. It may take a couple of hours to backup for first time
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok this is a screen shot, should I just edit the name as 'Grahams seagate drive' and click erase are the default format's and schemes ok ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.
That is correct. Yes, you can change the name, it is optional though. Then click Erase and others are ok.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Morning Ashik - the back up has completed - can you advise me of the next steps ? - thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Morning. Now we have to erase the hard drive and install fresh version. To do that, first go to App Store, click on Purcchases and download a copy of El Capitan
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Let me know once you did that
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Meantime while downloading El Capitan, do this. Connect the external hard drive, then open your home folder and copy everything from there to the external hard drive like Documents, Pictures and all your important files. This is for double safety
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am getting the attached message - should I continue ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Continue. Meantime while downloading El Capitan, do this. Connect the external hard drive, then open your home folder and copy everything from there to the external hard drive like Documents, Pictures and all your important files. This is for double safety
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thanks - its saying 10 hours to copy the files, so will be in touch once complete ..
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Remember, we are going to do a fresh install of El Capitan. So I want you to backup your important files this way as well. I hope you have the Office and other third party application's installation files/discs and serial numbers as we need to reinstall them after El Capitan installation. Also get a 8GB USB flash drive. We need a 8GB USB drive to create the bootable USB El Capitan installer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi ashik - I got a USB flash drive and everything has been backed up - can you let me know the next steps - thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Connect the flash drive to your computer and download and open this application --> http://diskmakerx.com/ Create a bootable El Capitan installed using the above application and let me know once you did that
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have saved a copy of this to my flash drive, do I now insert it into the the other computer and run it ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Now we can erase the Mac and install a fresh version. Remember doing this will delete everything from it and install a fresh version.So make sure you have all your important files backed up.Insert the USB to problem Mac. Restart and immediately hold down option key on keyboard and this will boot it into startup manager. Select OS X USB and press return and this will boot into installation screen. Select Disk Utility. In disk utility select Macintosh HD and erase it. Then close it and click Install Mac OS X and install it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The only to options I have to select are macintosh hd or recovery 10.11.2 ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Disconnect the USB and reconnect it. Does it recognize it ? If not, can you create the USB using Disk Maker X again and then try to boot into it. If that didn't work, then select Recovery 10.11 Erase the HD and reinstall OS X
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It didnt work, when I selected the recovery drive it has just stalled on a whit screen with the apple logo ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Create the El Capitan disk again with Disk Maker X. Make sure you get a successful message and see if it boots into it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It doesn't boot into it - all I have is the 2 previous options ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys for 20 seconds and does it boot into OS X Utlities screen ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes it shows this
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
If it booted into OS X Utilities screen, then select Disk Utility. In disk utility select Macintosh HD and erase it. Then close it and click Install Mac OS X and install it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I have deleted it and now reinstalling the mac os x el capitan - will confirm once done
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Good Luck
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Ashik - all done and it appears to be working, what are the next steps for me ? - thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.
Hi Graham, Hope you had a great christmas. Now you need to install your applications liek Office and restore the backups or files to your Mac. Can you do that ? For eg. Install Office. Then copy the Microsoft User Data folder to Documents folder (to where it was originally) and open Outlook. Copy all your important stuffs from the backup drive like iPhoto Library, iTunes Library etc to their respectives places. Can you do that ?