Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have recently installed EL Capitan as an update and

Customer Question

I have recently installed EL Capitan as an update and since then a) Safari doesn't work (I get the message, safari quit unexpectedly), neither does my Microsoft Outlook which provides a similar message. Other microsoft applications work such as excel and word - I am working off an IMAC - can you advise / assist
Graham
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. Do you have another browser on that computer ? Firefox or Chrome ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ashik - I dont Im afraid.....
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Do you have access to another computer now ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, just noticed I have google chrome, yes I do I am working from my lap top.......
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Google chrome works.......
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Great ! First lets fix Safari. After that we can fix Outlook.
If your Mac is infected with adware or malware, this would cause Safari is crash. So first, we have to make sure there are no viruses on that Mac.
Open Chrome and go to this website --> http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php
Download the Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
Run and scan with it and this will find and remove all the adware/malwares from your Mac.
Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it has found something called pup.zipcloud, should I remove selected items ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Remove it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok done..
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Open Safari now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im getting the same message as before.......
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Run a scan with Malwarebytes again. Does it find anything now ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It hasn't found anything, should I try and restart the computer ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Please do. If it still not working, then we can fix Safari manually trashing some old preferences files.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It worked for a split second and then crashed........
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Follow the steps below; In Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will open the Library folder of your user account. If you see Safari folder there, then trash it. Then open the Preferences folder. Trash the file named com.apple.Safari.plist and trash the com.apple.Safari.plist.lockfile if you can find it. Go back to Library folder, open the Containers and trash com.apple.Safari folder if you see it there. Now open Safari. Does it work now ? Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I couldn't find the following :-trash com.apple.Safari folderI have tried to launch Safari, my favourites etc have disapeared but the same thing happened as before, it just quit
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Something is preventing it from launching. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups. Create a new admin account. Log out from Apple menu and login to new account. The new account will be blank. This is to Safari and outlook. Are you able to open Safari and Outlook on new account ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can open Safari, but outlook is not associated with the new user ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Because new account is blank. But does Outlook open ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does, but its as if I am setting up a new account......?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
So the problem is with old account. Your old account was corrupted somehow. Do you have an external hard drive there ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't Im afraid........
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Login to your old account. Hold down Option and open Outlook. Does it give you a Database Utility screen ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Rebuild it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Do this also and let me know the results. Go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (Macintosh HD), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It would not let me rebuild it, it said could not rebuild your database - should I chose an earlier data base ? - do you want me to do the second part ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid the update has corrupted everything in old account. The applications are fine, but the database are the ones that were corrupted. Yes, do second part
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean the first aid icon ? - I can not select repair permission
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes. It is under First Aid. Don't you see Repair Permission button ? You have to select Macintosh HD first
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I click on first AID i GET THE OPTION TO RUN, it says it will repair the volume if necessary - no reference to repair permission though
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Are you in Disk Utility ? See this sample picture --> http://www.mac-lab.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/repair_permissions.jpg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am, but that isn't the option I get when I click on first aid
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Did you select Macintosh HD at left column ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Do you see Repair Disk there ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, there are two options - here is the photo
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Oh Yes. Ok. Run it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok done
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Any errors ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
None - checked in details also -says none
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Ok, open Word or Excel. Click on Help menu at the top bar and select Check for Updates. Install all updates. Then rebuild the Outlook database again. If it still not working, then we will have to switch to new account.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok well, this is weird ! - outlook works, but safari still doesn't ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Great ! Lets continue troubleshooting Safari. Hold down Shift key on your keyboard and open Safari. Does Safari open now ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Now, click on Safari menu and select Preferences. Click Privacy tab. Click Clear Website Data and clear it. Then click on Safari menu and select Clear History. Clear All History. Restart Safari.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok done it, went to the bbc website it stayed open for a while then just quit .......
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Close Safari. Then in Finder click on Go menu and select Library. Open Caches folder and trash the file/folder named com.apple.Safari Then open Internet Plugins folder and trash all files from there. Hold down Shift and open Safari. Click on Safari and select Preferences. Click on Extension and if you see any extensions there, delete them. Then turn off Extensions in there. Close Safari. Then click on Go menu and select Go To Folder. Type the following command and press return /Library/ From the Library folder, open Internet Plugins folder and trash all files. Open Safari. Does it work now ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is no internet plugins folder ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. Under both Library folder ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Did you check both Library folders ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is nothing in the internet plug in folder is that ok ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Open Safari.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have still no joy, when I type in a website - it opens then crashes
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Can I connect to your Mac and check the issue and try to fix it while you watch ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes please
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Go to this link --> https://www.fastsupport.com/656292025 An application will be downloaded. Open it and open Citrix Online Launcher and give permission to connect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
shall I do that via google chrome on the terminal that is broken
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, do via Chrome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok all done
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
connected
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You can reinstall your Mac OS X. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one and that should fix the problems. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ashik - I have just re installed it as per your instruction and sadly Safari doesn't work, the remaining applications do "?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Does Safari crash in new account ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does......
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I'm getting out of ideas. I've one more suggestion. If that didn't work, then I will opt out and open this question to other experts in here.
I want you to enable root account, then trash Safari. To enable and login to root, follow the instructions in here --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012
AFter log in to root, go to Applications folder and trash Safari. Login in back to your account (disable root)
Then I will send you a different copy of Safari ASAP which you can download using Chrome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can get to point 7 and then can go no further ? - where do I enter administrator name ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
In Directory Utility window, click on Edit menu on the top and enable root. I've found a Youtube video, see this video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upD33OIkRvA
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
After trashing Safari, download this Safari --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvo2maw9coaym93/Safari.zip?dl=0
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, how do I log into Root as I have enabled it ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Logout from Apple menu. This will bring user accounts screen. Click Other. In the Name field, type--> root In the Password ***** type the password ***** set for the root account.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing seems to be happening, just a black screen ? - the user name I typed was root - should I have put the other characters prior to the letters ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No, root is correct. Can you restart and try to login to root again ? If not, login to your account. Download the copy of Safari from this link --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvo2maw9coaym93/Safari.zip?dl=0 Does that Safari work ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its just a black screen with a cursor ? - shall I turn it on and off at the back ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says I cant delete safari as its required by the system, although when I use safari on the root log in / account its fine and works - how can I delete safari from the old account and re install ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean you can't delete Safari from root ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it didnt let me as it said that OS needed safari ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Can you move Safari to Utilities folder ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Do this. Open Terminal from Applications > Utilities folder. Type the following command and press return sudo rm -rf Safari.app/ Type password ***** asked. Press return. Does it delete Safari ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, but how do I do the first point !?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where do I type the command ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got it !
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Didnt ask me for a password, nor has it deleted safari ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Is Safari still under Applications folder ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, might not be relevant, but historically I found safari very slow and thought it was my internet connection, using safari on the new user accounts is lightening quick in comparison
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Open Terminal Type this command and then click and drag Safari icon from Applications folder and press return sudo rm -rf After entering -rf, put a space and then click and drag Safari icon from Applications folder to Terminal window and it will add the path/location of Safari. Then press return. Did that remove Safari ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says operation not permitted........
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
The command was blocked in El Capitan. El Capitan doesn't allow you to delete it normal way. You have to delete this way.Restart and boot into OS X Utilties screen by holding down Command and R keys. This will boot into OS X Utlities screen. Click on Utilities menu at the top and select Terminal. Then type the following command. csrutil disable; reboot Press return. After rebooting, open Terminal and delete Safari using Terminal (type the commands below and press return after each line) cd /Applications/sudo rm -Rf Safari.app
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sorry the last command is not Photos. It is sudo rm -Rf Safari.app
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
How is it going ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ashik - sorry I have been away for a bit hence the delay, the last time we spoke we were going to reinstall OS, is this still the case, can you send me steps on how to do this ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi Graham, Yes, but we have to get rid of old Safari first. Then only new one will be installed. Do this please. Restart and boot into OS X Utilties screen by holding down Command and R keys. This will boot into OS X Utlities screen. Click on Utilities menu at the top and select Terminal. Then type the following command. csrutil disable; reboot Press return. After rebooting, open Terminal and delete Safari using Terminal (type the commands below and press return after each line) cd /Applications/sudo rm -Rf Safari.app Did that remove Safari from Applications folder ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ashik - do I have to do this on my old user account ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says enter password ***** is this my log in password ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, login or admin password.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, login or admin password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its saying no such file or directory ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Are you in Terminal after logging into desktop or the Terminal of OS X Utilities screen ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Terminal in desk top
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Assuming you ran the first command in Terminal of OS X Utilities, type this command and then click and drag Safari icon from Applications folder and press return sudo rm -rf After entering -rf, put a space and then click and drag Safari icon from Applications folder to Terminal window and it will add the path/location of Safari. Then press return
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its asking for a password, but then I cant type anything in the field ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You can type the password ***** you won't see it. Just type the password ***** press return
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says rm : illegal option ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Make sure you write the commands correct. Try again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have, it says no such file of directory
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You ran that command successfully on Nov 5 and you got this message then "operation not permitted". Can you please try again ? Type sudo rm -rf put a space and then drag Safari from Applications folder to Terminal and press return
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done this twice and got the same message
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Did you download the new Safari I sent you ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No because we are trying to delete the old version first and have not managed to do this ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Download Safari from here --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvo2maw9coaym93/Safari.zip?dl=0 Put it on desktop and can you use that Safari ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It wont let me open it as developer not confirmed ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Go to System Preferences > Security and Privacy and allow it to open from there. You can set it to anywhere to open apps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hasnt worked, same message as before
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
System is extremely slow also
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I just don't understand why Safari isn't working. I'm getting out of ideas. Do the steps below to speed up Mac Shut down your MacRestart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same timeHold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.Release the keys and let the Mac bootup. Then Go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (Macintosh HD), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Let me know the results
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All ok no problems,,,,,,,,
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Reinsatlling without getting rid of old Safari will provide no results. Open Applications folder. Right click on Safari, scroll down and under Users & Permission, can you give permission to all users ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right click ? - I work off a apple mouse - this doesn't make sense to me
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, there is right click on Macs as well. You can turn it on from System Preferences > Mouse Hold down Control and do a normal click and this will also act as right click
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no option for users and permissions ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
It is at the bottom. You have to scroll down
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sorry it is Sharing and Permissions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its under get info !? - and no it doesn't give me that option
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
See this pic --> http://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/20130208-04-SharedFolder.jpg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unless its read and write ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Make it read and write to all users
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Admin isn't there, I have everyone x 2 and system and wheel ?, can make the change to all ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Click on the small up and down arrow and can't you change the permission (Read & Write) for all users there ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can, for every option that is listed - Im just letting you know that there is no name convention entitled administrator
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
It's ok. It will be different for different Macs. Now can you trash Safari from there ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes done
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Safari is gone ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I still have the second version, do I trash that as well ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Both gone, heard the trash sound and it has removed it from the dock
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Now, reinstall your OS X. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X. Hopefully this will install a working version of Safari. Do you have any third party applications like Firewall, NetNanny etc installed on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only have the microsoft office package word, excel, outlook etc, Im reinstalling now but its the el capitan version, which appears to have caused all of the problems in the first place ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
If this doesn't work, then we can do a fresh install OS X after backing up your files. This will definitely fix the the issues with system and also make system faster.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** it will take some time so will keep you updated
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Morning Ashik - reinstalled as per yesterday, it has reinstalled a copy of safari, but sadly I am getting the same message ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It also seems slower than ever......
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning. El Capitan installation completely messed up everything. I'd recommend to backup everything on your Mac and do a fresh install of OS X. DO you have an external hard drive ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't but I will go and buy one later and come back to you re advice as to how to proceed....
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you should get one. It is a must have device. After backing up the files, we can install a fresh version of El Capitan. You do have the Office installation discs and also its serial number. Right ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I first purchased the microsoft products excluding outlook - I then purchased outlook, I don't seem to have the product key for this but there are a number of serial numbers on the packaging etc - can I retrace it from them ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes. But first I want you to get an external drive to backup your files
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok will sort and come back to you later
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Ashik - sorry I haven't been back to you - things a little crazy ! - I have now got the back up disk - can you talk me through the steps etc - thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning. Connect the backup drive to your Mac. Then go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your backup hard drive in the left column. Under Erase tab, select Mac OS Journaled / Extended
Then click the Erase button and it will be formatted for Mac. After erasing, your Mac will ask you to setup Time Machine. So click Yes or Yes. Then go to System Preferences> Time Machine. If it is off there, turn it on. Then you will see the time machine icon at the top bar. Click it and click Backup Now button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It hasn't asked me to set up time machine ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought a seagate back up plus drive, which indicated that it would wrk on either a PC or Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we need to erase it first though. Did you erase it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I erased the blank seagate disk, yes.....
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open Time Machine from Applications folder or from System Preferences. Turn it on. Click Select Backup Disk and select the Seagate disk. Then you will see the time machine icon at the top bar. Click it and click Backup Now button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I do that,just to be sure there are 2 external seagate drives, I erased the seagate backup plus drive, not the Seagate BUP Slim SL Media - is that ok ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You have to erase the main Seagate drive. Go to Disk Utility again. Click on Seagate in left (in the main one, not the intended ones) then erase it. Then use Time Machine to backup. It may take a couple of hours to backup for first time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok this is a screen shot, should I just edit the name as 'Grahams seagate drive' and click erase are the default format's and schemes ok ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. Yes, you can change the name, it is optional though. Then click Erase and others are ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Ashik - the back up has completed - can you advise me of the next steps ? - thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Morning. Now we have to erase the hard drive and install fresh version. To do that, first go to App Store, click on Purcchases and download a copy of El Capitan
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Let me know once you did that
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Meantime while downloading El Capitan, do this. Connect the external hard drive, then open your home folder and copy everything from there to the external hard drive like Documents, Pictures and all your important files. This is for double safety
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting the attached message - should I continue ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Continue. Meantime while downloading El Capitan, do this. Connect the external hard drive, then open your home folder and copy everything from there to the external hard drive like Documents, Pictures and all your important files. This is for double safety
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks - its saying 10 hours to copy the files, so will be in touch once complete ..
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Remember, we are going to do a fresh install of El Capitan. So I want you to backup your important files this way as well. I hope you have the Office and other third party application's installation files/discs and serial numbers as we need to reinstall them after El Capitan installation. Also get a 8GB USB flash drive. We need a 8GB USB drive to create the bootable USB El Capitan installer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ashik - I got a USB flash drive and everything has been backed up - can you let me know the next steps - thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Connect the flash drive to your computer and download and open this application --> http://diskmakerx.com/ Create a bootable El Capitan installed using the above application and let me know once you did that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have saved a copy of this to my flash drive, do I now insert it into the the other computer and run it ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Now we can erase the Mac and install a fresh version. Remember doing this will delete everything from it and install a fresh version.So make sure you have all your important files backed up.Insert the USB to problem Mac. Restart and immediately hold down option key on keyboard and this will boot it into startup manager. Select OS X USB and press return and this will boot into installation screen. Select Disk Utility. In disk utility select Macintosh HD and erase it. Then close it and click Install Mac OS X and install it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only to options I have to select are macintosh hd or recovery 10.11.2 ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the USB and reconnect it. Does it recognize it ? If not, can you create the USB using Disk Maker X again and then try to boot into it. If that didn't work, then select Recovery 10.11 Erase the HD and reinstall OS X
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didnt work, when I selected the recovery drive it has just stalled on a whit screen with the apple logo ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Create the El Capitan disk again with Disk Maker X. Make sure you get a successful message and see if it boots into it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't boot into it - all I have is the 2 previous options ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys for 20 seconds and does it boot into OS X Utlities screen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it shows this
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If it booted into OS X Utilities screen, then select Disk Utility. In disk utility select Macintosh HD and erase it. Then close it and click Install Mac OS X and install it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I have deleted it and now reinstalling the mac os x el capitan - will confirm once done
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Good Luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ashik - all done and it appears to be working, what are the next steps for me ? - thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Graham, Hope you had a great christmas. Now you need to install your applications liek Office and restore the backups or files to your Mac. Can you do that ? For eg. Install Office. Then copy the Microsoft User Data folder to Documents folder (to where it was originally) and open Outlook. Copy all your important stuffs from the backup drive like iPhoto Library, iTunes Library etc to their respectives places. Can you do that ?