Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I tried to update apps on my MacBook and it restarted but the

Customer Question

I tried to update apps on my MacBook and it restarted but the bar under the apple logo only went a third lit then stopped. Somehow (may have done something with start mode) I have screen with logos at the bottom of the screen but safari and mail won't open. The commenter wants to use the login keychain but I can't remember the password. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. I believe it is not a keychain issue. Keychain doesn't mess with Safari or Mail. It is probably the update that has crashed the OS X. However try entering your keychain password. Keychain password ***** ***** as the login password ***** admin password (the password ***** use to install apps or updates). If that is not working, then I want you to reinstall the OS X by booting into OS X recovery. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one and that should fix the problem. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X. Note : Your Mac has to be connected to internet to reinstall the OS X. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
The charge is $48 I believe and you only have to pay if you are 100% satisfied or if I solved your problem. You can ask as many as follow up questions (re this issue) If you are not satisfied, you will not be charged and you will get full refund. Phone call is additional $20. It is only optional. You can communicate with me through your iPad without any additional payment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's not oing much. It's not hitting down and the screen is flashing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've already paid £35 !!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The coloured wheel is going round i.e. No cursor
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
It is a safety deposit which is fully refundable if you are not satisfied. No worries. Turn off your Mac completely by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 20 seconds and does it boot into OS X Utilities screen ? If not, restart and immediately hold down Option key on your keyboard for 10 seconds and this will boot into Startup manager screen. Do you see Recovery HD there ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes OS X Utilities
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Great ! You are on right track. First click on Disk Utility there. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (Macintosh HD), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then restart your Mac. Is it still showing spinning wheel ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can't click Macintosh had as it's greyed
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
What about the first one in the list ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Take that back . I've clicked it
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Repair Permission. Then Repair Disk after Verifying Disk
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No Repair Permission showing!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
It is under First Aid tab on right. If you don't see Repair Permission, then click Verify Disk. If asked to Repair, click Repair Disk. It might take a few minutes to do the repairs. So let it complete. Once it is completed, let me know before restarting it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At the top it's got First Aid, Partition, Erase, Mount and Info. Only Erase and Info can be clicked on
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Click First Aid tab. Don't you see Repair Disk or Verify Disk button there ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can't click first aid. It's greyed in
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Knew it wouldn't be simple !!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
It is simple. You can do it. We just need to run some repairs. Close Disk Utility. Now click on Utilities menu at the top bar and select Terminal. Let me know after opening Terminal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Shall I photo the screen and send i
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No needed yet. I will walk you through the steps here. Close Disk Utility. Now click on Utilities menu at the top bar and select Terminal. Let me know after opening Terminal Type (without space) : resetpasswordPress return. Select the hard disk, select the user account, confirm the user account and then change password. Then click Save. Let me know once you did that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right the O X Utilities choices are Restore from Time Machine Backup, Reinstall OS X, Get Help Online
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Now click on Utilities menu at the top bar (top of the screen) and select Terminal. In Terminal type the following command without space resetpassword ***** return. This will bring Reset password ***** Select the hard disk at top (Macintosh HD), select your user account from the drop down menu under select user and then enter your new password (this is the password ***** are going to use with keychain and for all purposes, so note it down). Then click Save. Let me know once you did that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got the screen. Says at top Select volume containing the user account. Need to type anything in there??
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No just select Macintosh HD there. Then your user account will appear under the select user account dropdown. Select your user account. Enter a new password ***** click Save. Let me knoow
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't . There's nothing in the box!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Do you have File Vault enabled on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not that I'm aware of. Never heard of it. Getting more complicated by the minute!! Wonder what I did wrong in the first place
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
File Vault is a high level encryption that protect your files from unauthorized access. What happened is, that update you did has crashed the OS X system files. It is common with computers. Sometimes they just fail to install without any reason. Close the reset password ***** Then close Terminal. Click Reinstall Mac OS X from the window. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall. Let me know how if you get stuck at any screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doing it !
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Let me know how it goes. I hope your files are not corrupted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Signing into App Store !!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Downloading components........very slowly
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, this is going to take a while (a few hours) and the time will depend on the speed of your internet connection.