Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

I went to use my Mac and the screen was frozen so turned off

I went to use my Mac and the screen was frozen so turned off and then on again but all I have is a white screen? Help please
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.
Tell me if it then starts correctly please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is option
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
This is the key on your keyboard with OPT on it or option, if you do not have it then for you it is the left ALT key on your keyboard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heard the second sound and still a white screen
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you power off the mac please, then hold SHIFT and with it held down, power on the Mac and keep shift held down until it loads.
Tell me if it then loads please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still white screen
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you do the following please
Shut down the computer.
Plug in then power source and to your computer.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Tell me if it then starts please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand what is a built in keyboard mine is attached by usb in the back. What is plug in then power source sorry. Shall I unplug the plug in again
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thats the built in keyboard.The power supply is the power cable.Yes, unplug it then plug it in please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged then re attached held all the keys you said the let go immediately on all buttons still white screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I heard a loud beep too
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, attempt this please
Power off the mac
Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.
Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window
choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.
Click the First Aid tab.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").
Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still holding the cd key and r no apple
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cmd key
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No still white screen
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is the internal mainboard that has faulted.
A corrupted installation or PRam can cause this but we have now ruled this out.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Mac to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I have lost all my info photos etc ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If it is the motherboard which by all symptoms you describe it points to, then no, they will be ok once the motherboard is replaced.
Richard, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple Computers Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you lynne