Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My Mac Pro will not open When I lift the lid a flashing

Customer Question

My Mac Pro will not open
When I lift the lid a flashing white rectangle file with a black question mark comes on in the middle of the screen I have to press the starter button top Right hand of key board
My email address is
***@******.***
I can access email through my iPhone and a different pc.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
Holdthe power button for 15 seconds then Restart the computer and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. This is called Safe Boot and it will attempt repairs. If you get to the login screen put in your user/pass then when it boots up, restart the normal way. Let me know what happens after.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No difference. All that happens is the flashing reactance with the question mark has appeared again in the middle of the screen
OK I'm afraid that means your hard drive has failed it needs to be replaced
Where are you located?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in Greece at the moment and it is past midnight. I shall stay by my phone for the next 30 minutes after which time please call tomorrow after an interlude of 9 hours. Thanks.
Sorry I didn't realize that.... I can't call Greece what is is you think I can do in a phone call that I can't do here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No idea. Thought it was your suggestion?Ok so how do I go about replacing the hard drive. Do I have to return to an apple dealer in uk where I bought the Mac ProPresumably I won't to be charged for the phone call?
Sorry for the misunderstanding. That is the site, you can take it any where they service computers...
Try this: 1. Shut down the computer. 2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected. 3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time. 4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. 5. Press the power button to turn on the computer. 6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears. 7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice. 8. Release the keys.
That resets some things if the problem persists then it is the hard drive...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Hasn't worked unfortunately. So does it ave to be an apple approved service centre / shop ?Also can you send me those instructions by email and I'll try again tomorrow. I can't seem to copy your script
It should be in your email already. No any computer shop unless it is still under warranty... Of course
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's just come out if warrantee by about 3 weeks !! I foolishly thought if it lasted a year without problems there wouldn't be any !!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you confirm I will not be charged for the phone call please?
I have not control over your account you will have to contact customer service... sorryhttp://ww2.justanswer.com/help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I contact customer services ?
I just gave you the link: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help
Please tell them what you think of the phone call feature pushed on you... It is not helpful to me either
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Yes it was pushed on me. The way it came up did not specify on the screen it was an additional charge. You had to scroll up to see that which I didn'tThank you for your help. Much appreciated
Good luck