Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I've just updated my MacBook Pro operating system. Now when

I've just updated my MacBook Pro operating system. Now when I enter my password ***** box comes up asking for my keychain password. The only one I know doesn't work.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. We can reset your Keychain Access application and that will fix the problem. Go to System Preferences > iCloud and turn off Keychain if it is ON there. Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.From the Keychain Access menu at top left next to Apple, choose Preferences.Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.Authenticate with your account login/admin password ***** Keychain Access. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't go anywhere all I have is the screen with a box asking for my keychain password ***** can't access anything.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode. Are you able to login now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the apple logo and the black bar moving very slow
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Let it complete. It is booting into Safe Mode while repairing the hard drive in the background.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same result box asking for keychain password
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you see Create New Keychain or any other options there ? Have you tried your Apple ID or iCLoud ID password ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing only the password ***** I've tried all passwords I know. Two spinning wheels one white one coloured.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Turn off your Mac.Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.Click on the “Utilities” menu in top and select “Terminal".Type (without space) : resetpasswordPress return. Select the hard disk, select the user account, confirm the user account and then change password ***** reboot as normal. Reboot and is it still asking for keychain password ? If Yes, enter the new password ***** reset and does it accept it ? Do this Create New Keychain button now ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
After changing the password ***** above steps, does it show Create New Keychain option or does it accept the new password ***** reset ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says no available users and will not let me type anything
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you select your hard disk (Macintosh HD) at the top ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No option to select disc
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you have File Vault enabled on the drive ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It seems like you have File Vault enabled, that is why it is not appearing under resetpassword. Close Reset Password. Then select Disk Utility in OS X Utilities screen. Click Macintosh HD (in left column). Click on File mnu and do you see Unlock drive opion ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've unlocked the disk it now says restart
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It is indeed the File Vault causing the problem. Actually, it is not a problem, it is doing what it supposed to do. It is protecting your data. Without the correct password, you can't access the data. Restart your Mac and is it still asking for keychain ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it accepts my usual password ***** the keychain box come up
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
In that Keychain, enter your usual password ***** Apple ID/iCloud password. Is it still rejecting it ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Also did you try the one you used to unlock the disk ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you try the one you used to unlock the disk ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Boot into OS X Utilities screen again (Command and R keys at startup). Click Disk Utility. Select Macintosh HD. Click on File menu and select Turn off Encryption. Unlock the drive as well if needed. After turning on Encryption, close Disk Utility. Open Terminal. Type resetpassword ***** press return From the reset password ***** do you now see the Macintosh HD at the top ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two discs Apple hdd hts then underneath Macintosh hd no file menu on ether
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The file is at the top next to Apple logo. Don't you see it ? How did you unlock it before ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry no turn off encryption. There is unlock but it asks for a password ***** excepted my password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It now has First Aid, erase, unmount, and info
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Run First Aid. Close Disk Utility. Open Terminal from Utilities menu. Type resetpassword ***** press return From the reset password ***** do you now see the Macintosh HD at the top ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Running first aid
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the backup of your important files ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only what's on my MacBook. How do I get terminal back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got to t back
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Close Disk Utility. Then click on Utilities menu and at the top bar and select Terminal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Macintosh in top window
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Select it. Select your user account. Set new password. Save. Restart and login with new password. When it ask for Keychain, do you see Create New Keychain button ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the same. No create new password *****
Finder menu bar just came up
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
In Finder menu click on Go menu and select Utilities. Does this bring Utilities window ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spinning ball won't let me do anything
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Try to boot into Safe Mode and see if you are able to login ? Restart and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode. If it still not working, then we may need to do an erase and install. Do you have any important files on the Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All my files are important. Should I have to save everything on an external drive?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but you can't now since it is not booting. Did you boot it into safe mode ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still doing it
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Still stuck at spinning wheel ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Restarting again
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
A few more options left. Lets create a new account and see if you are able to login to that account. Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode. • Reboot your Mac• Immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc mount -uw /rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDoneshutdown -h now This will shut down the Mac. Turn it on and this will bring the setup screen and you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account. Then login to the new account. It will be blank and you will not see your files. It is normal. Let me know if you are able to login to new account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a space between every set?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried several ways nothing happening.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Will send them in detail
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
mount<space>-uw<space>/<enter/return>rm<space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<enter/return>shutdown<space>-h<space>now<enter/return>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that worked
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to create a new account ? Are you logged in to new account now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going through it now
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
How is it going ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very slow but it's created a new account. Will I be able to access all my files?
If I set up a keychain password ***** it work on my other account?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you will be able to access your files. Do you have an external hard drive there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but I can get one tomorrow
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
When you get an external hard drive, you can backup all your important files to that backup drive by logging into root user. Follow the instructions in here to enable and login to roor user --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012 After logging into the root user, click on Finder on dock. In Finder, click on Finder menu and select Preferences. Under General tab enable hard disks. This will show hard disk icon on desktop. Open Macintosh HD. Open Users folder and you will see your old account's folder there. Open it and copy all your important files to your external hard drive. After copying, go to Macintosh HD > Users > old account > Library and trash the Keychain folder. Then logout and login to old account. Let me know how it goes.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Now login to root and delete the Keychain folder from Macintosh HD > Users > old account > Library Then logout and see if you are able to login to the old account
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it's loading everything, it looks like it will take some time, I'll let you know how I go on.ūüĎć
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what you meant loading everything. Do you mean it is loading the old account ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's loading my Windows Office.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What made it to load Windows office ? On what account are you on now ?
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc