Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

Can receive but not send emails on my lMac

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please with which email service the iMac is connecting to?
And what error message you get when it fails to send?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Using Apple Mail on iMac getting error message "The smtp server smtp.tiscali.co.uk rejected the password ***** user (null)
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
ok, if it says Null it appears the password ***** / or user name is removed.
Click on Mail, Preference
click on your mail account then click on Edit SMTP Sever
click on yours in the list, then click on advance and reenter your email address as the username and the password.
Save this then try to send an email.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Else Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Have tries but keep getting message "The servers marked with alert icons are in conflict and cannot be saved. Two servers cannot share the same address and authentication settings. Resolve the conflicts and try again."
Ae this point I'm reluctant to allow remote access.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
ok, as I mentioned it is a optional service.
But the message you tell me means you have two servers with the same information, so click on one of them and click on - to remove it.
Then correct the information for the remaining one and then try to send.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
There are four separate addresses, but I cannot see option for removing the three additional ones
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
when you click on of them you click the - to remove it
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Bear with me please. I will respond in a few moments.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Have just sent email but it remains in Outbox.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
What is the error you now get?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No error message.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Can you restart the mac and then try to send, you would get an error in the bottom left if it fails.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Message failed to send. I think it likely that i have made mistake.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
ok, go back to the list of outgoing servers, make sure only one is listed and it has the correct username and password.
It is likely you still have this incorrect.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The outgoing server is just one listed named my email address but with (offline) following
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
ok, but you need to click on Advance and re-enter your email address as the username and your password *****
this is what we needed to complete before.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The Advanced box in Preferences doesn't provide an opportunity to enter these.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
ok, but you were able to before, so this is strange....
We will then need to re-add the mail account.
Go to Mail, Preferences.
Click on the email account and click on - to remove it.
Then click on + And add it again
If it adds, then you will be able to send again.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
SItuation unresolved, please withdraw charge against my credit card
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
ok... you get your refund here
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund