Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am having trouble with my iphoto library. can you h

I am having trouble with my iphoto library. can you help?
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have two iphoto libraries and the main one on the hard drive has stopped being recognised. It wont open.
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)ProcessorMemory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Version 10.9.5
Processor 1.3 GHz intel core i5
Memory 4GM 1600 MHz DDR3
Let's check some things before we begin: Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did this. It said it was OK but it did not allow me to repair disk permissions only repair disk. I did that and it has not made any difference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Macintosh HD was grayed out but the one above it was Apple SSD and I clicked on this one
If Macintosh HD was grayed out you have a problem. PLease try again
There is another way a bit more complicated: Start up your computer in single-user mode to reach the command line. 1. Shut down your Mac if it is on. 2. Press the power button to start the computer. 3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and the "s" key for single-user mode. (Command-S)You have successfully entered single-user mode when you see white text appear on the screen, that is called the command line.At the command-line prompt type: /sbin/fsck -fyPress Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed previously until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.Your computer should start up normally and allow you to log in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just done all that. It says it's OK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did it twice to be sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
???
Sorry I thought hat would take a while so you mean the FSCK? OK restart Qquit iPhoto if open, hold down the Option/ALT and Command keys and start iPhoto. You will see an iPhoto Library First Aid window, select rebuild the Database.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it didnt take long to go through the steps and come back with it being OK.
Right I will try this now but wont it just rebuild the database of the one it can find on the mac and not the one on the harddrive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup! Just done that and thats exactly what it did. I only have 400 photos in that and it took seconds. The problem is with the library on the hard drive that has around 7000 photos
Is it an external drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I click directly on the library on the hard drive it opens up the iphoto library on the mac and starts importing photos. Im guessing its trying to put the whole of the bigger library (on the hard drive) in to the library on the mac. I stop importing before it does that as it will never fit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
No it is not doing that
Please explain is there an external drive which drive has the bad library?
Please don't do anything before asking me that is why I am here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes this is what I mean by hard drive. It's an external drive with 7000 files in it. The smaller one is on the mac. The problem is with the external drive. It was working fine then it just stopped working. I was using it and it said there were inconsistencies or something and shut down. Now it wont open. When I try to click on the library directly it opens iphoto with the other, smaller library showing and says its importing files. As I said, I think it is trying to import the whole of the external drive on to the mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just giving you historical info here. I'm only doing as you say right now :)
OK. You need to check that drive too, did you quit iPhoto before trying to double click on that other library. I think it would be best If I connect by remote
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really hope you can help. I am on a world record round the world motorcycle attempt here and I have many presentations in the next few weeks when I reach the U.S and now it goes wrong!!
Did you see my offer to remote connect?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK that sounds for remote connect. Yes please
You have to Accept the offer.
OK go to the link below and click on Join your Session then allow the app to run, if you get a message about "unknown developer" go to System Preferences / Security & Privacy and Allow it to run, then look for my messages on your screen: http://mikethemacmedic.com:8040/?Session=9bb19639-210b-407b-8065-f3d12add5d8b
When you get to a place where you can do it copy everything to another drive then open the Disk Utility select the Elements drive and then make it Format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) inErase tab and select Erase then copy the files back. There is a Utility called Drive Genius which will scan your drives on a regular basis and tell you if there is something wrong: https://www.prosofteng.com/drive-genius-4/
Please remember we only get a portion of the original amount you pay no matter how long it takes, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!