Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer specialist
62741268

My ipod nano will not connect via the USB cable to other devices

Customer Question

my ipod nano will not connect via the USB cable to other devices to play music. Why?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 11 months ago.
what are the devices that it does not work on?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Panasonic radio/cd/mp3 etc player and Record Player system from Clas Olsen
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If it helps at all, the ipod nano WILL play through my car's system - Renault Captur and also through my hi-fi system - DENON...
okay, are you using an official Apple usb cable?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have used both an 'official' cable (came with the I-pod) and also a brand new cable that I ordered on-line. Neither makes any difference
okay, if the devices you are trying are compatible with the iPod usb connection you will need to try a reset next. If you are unsure about the compatibility, let me know the full model numbers of the devices please.For the reset follow these steps>Connect your ipod to your computer using the cable that came with it.Select your iPod when it appears in iTunes. In the Summary panel, click Restore.Click Restore again to confirm that you want to restore your device to factory settings and delete all data and content. iTunes will download the device software file and restore your device.After your device is restored to factory settings, it will restart. When it does, you’ll see the "Slide to set up” welcome screen. Follow the steps in the setup assistant. You can set up your device as new or use a previous backup.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All done - so far, so good!
thats great!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay - ipod swept 'clean'. Now do I start downloading everything from the computer again? use iTunes? Any shortcuts?
No shortcuts, just choose the restore from back up.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Followed all the suggestions, but still ipod nano does not play via usb cable to other outlets. Do I need a better quality cable connector? I have noted that there are 'better quality' cables available around £15-£20?
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 10 months ago.
This sounds like an issue with the iPod firmware. The restore should have corrected the issue. The cable will be the only option to try.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What is the ipod 'firmware'? In what way can it be faulty? And if so, how can it be corrected? I understand that you are suggesting simply purchasing a new higher quality cable may fix the problem?
The firmware determines the compatibility with other devices. Go to your ipod menu, then general, then about. Let me know the ios version please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will check as you describe and get back to you tomorrow if that's OK? Many thanks
Yes,that will be good.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good morning...I have checked the ipod menu as you suggest and can tell you that the 'version' is 1.0.4 PC. Is that helpful? Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Any chance of a response?
okay, that is the latest version. It should be compatible with all iPod compatible devices. The issue must be with the devices, we have ruled out the iPod by doing the factory restore and reloading the content. The problem may be with the music format. The devices that say they are mp3 compatible may not play the iPod aac format music. You can try adding some mp3 music to the ipod and then see if it will connect and play on the devices.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Many thanks. I shall do as you suggest and then we shall have exhausted all possibilities I think, and have to accept that as you say, not all devices are in fact I-pod compatible. I shall by a new quality cable and see if that improves things. Best regards, ***** *****.
sounds good!Please let me know if you need any other assistance. Please take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then click on submit.Thank you very much!