Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

I have created a slideshow (411 photos) on my Apple Mac on

Customer Question

I have created a slideshow (411 photos) on my Apple Mac on iPhoto and want to copy it onto a usb flash drive (32GB). I have gone onto the Toolbar and pressed Export. Selected Slideshow, and pressed Export. On the next screen I have selected the USB stick, and pressed OK I then get a box saying "Exporting Slideshow", but nothing happens
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you restart the Mac, then try to export again and tell me if it now exports.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi richard. I have re started the Mac. No change. Pop up states Exporting slideshow, but nothing happening. There is a blank black box in the pop up, which suggests that it cannot attach / locate the slideshow ? (maybe?)
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Power off the mac
Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.
Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window
choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.
Click the First Aid tab.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").
Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Struggling
Selected Disk Utility. What do I select, and I can't see a disclosure triangle anywhere
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
You Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Done the Disk Repair, and attempted to Export Slideshow. Just the same, Im afraid
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Quit iPhoto if it is open.
Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
Open iPhoto.
Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use.
Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process.
Let it complete then try to export
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry to be thick. I know which the Command key is. Which is the Option key?
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Its ok, its the key with OPT on it, else if you do not have it it is the one with ALT
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am presented with several options - which do I choose
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Rebuild
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have repaired the database on iPhoto. Tried again to Export to USB. No good!
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Re built. Still unable to Export
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Are you able to export to the hard drive?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Just tried to export to the Desktop. Just the same
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Close all programs
Open Finder and go to /Library/Quicktime and delete the file
3ivxVideoCodec.component
Restart the mac and tell me if you can now export please.
Richard, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple Computers Specialist
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Im sorry, I don't understand what I am doing. If I go to Applications in Finder there is Quick Time Player. I have an option to move this to trash?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have to go now. Out all day tomorrow. Will someone ring on Sunday after 10.00am please
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is anyone free to call & help me through this please?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will the phone call be in the next hour?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Hi there,
Sorry about that for some reason your question did not show up.
I work online here so I am not sure what you mean about the phone call sorry.
But you need to go in Finder please, the application Finder.
Then you navigate to /Library/Quicktime
And delete the file
3ivxVideoCodec.component
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Richard
Can we pick this up again please. It says at the bottom of the dialogue on your screen "The Mac Support Specialist has confirmed your phone call request and will call you in a few minutes."
However, I guess from what you say that this is not going to happen. I have been charged £67.86 already, but I don't know what this is for. I have raised this with your Customer Services, and they have not responded.Nevertheless, I am now attempting to follow your instructions, and have located QuickTime Player in Applications. I don't know how to delete the file you refer to Im afraid. Can you assist please
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I can't progress this tonight, it will be Saturday before I can try again. Are you online now, or is my screen incorrect?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, it is possible another expert agreed to call, but you can check this from customer service.
It is not the quickplayer application you load, you need to open Finder.
Then you navigate to /Library/Quicktime
And delete the file
3ivxVideoCodec.component
Quicktime is the FOLDER not the application.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry if I am being thick here. This is what I have done
Opened Finder - I am presented with All My Files, and down the left hand side of the screen, under the heading Favorites, there are several headings. One of them is Applications. When I click on Applications I get a screen full of icons, one of which is QuickTimePlayer. Is this what you mean?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
No, I am not mentioning Application so I do not know why you keep referring to this.
Ill just connect to your computer and do this else we will not proceed as it seems your not nothing my instructions correctly.
Can you please take the time needed and carefully follow the below instructions.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have clicked on download, and I see the program is in Downloads. I cannot open it because I get a message You can’t open the application “TeamViewer Setup-4.exe” because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on OS X.I am not computer savvy, and am doing my best to follow your instructions
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
you choose to open the windows version, you need to choose the mac version please.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I really am sorry, but I can't identify the mac version. Yahoo has come up with loads of options, non of them seem to refer to windows / mac?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Why are you in Yahoo?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Installed
ID 168 446 436
Password ***** dje
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
password ***** *****
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My password ***** *****
On the Allow Remote Control Screen it says Password *****
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
thaanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Re started, and tried to Export the slideshow. Same problem - it says Exporting Slideshow, but nothing is happening. If you want to take a look the password ***** *****
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, make a new slide show with just a few photos, can you export that?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a slideshow with 28 photos in - and its just the same problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, but did you create a NEW slideshow just now?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, I just want a few photos in it, so add 4 please, then try to export it to the hard drive on the mac.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just created a new slideshow. Trying to Export to Hard drive - just the same
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, your only option left now is to do a reinstall of the Mac,
before we do, copy off any data from the mac, onto an external hard disk
Tell me when you have please.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a substantial amount of data on iTunes & iPhoto
Lots of documents / letters
Wouldn't know where to start
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
You will need to start with your files.
So copy your files that you wish to keep to your external hard drive.
Your photos, documents, letters,and music.
Purchases in itunes you do not need to backup as they will be added when you register it again