Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I'm trying to free up space on my mac so I can do a back

Customer Question

Hi, I'm trying to free up space on my mac so I can do a back up of my old iPhone before setting up my new one. can you help?
happy to pay
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. How much space is left on your Mac now ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
8.5 gb
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would also be ok saving the back up to icloud, but itunes says there isnt enough space on my computer to do that
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Did you empty the trash after deleting stuffs ? We have two options in here. If you want, I can remotely connect to your computer and free the space myself for you while you watch. I can also do the transfer from your old iPhone to new iPhone myself for you. This is an optional additional service. If you would like me to do this for you, you can accept the remote support offer. Or I can give you instructions in here. So you can follow them to solve the issue. Which one do you prefer ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the first i think
but what will u delete?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how will we chat while u do that?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
I will not delete any of your personal files. I will scan and show you what files are taking up space and you can decide them to delete or not. When we establish the remote connection, you will see a realtime chatbox and we can chat via that box. This is completely optional.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
does it cost extra?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Yes, you may see the cost on the screen. I have no control over the cost. The site will send you the offer. I can also give you instructions or walk you through the steps in here without any additional payment. Both ways, I'm happy to help
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok
walk me through
i dont want to pay more unless i have to
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Sure. First lets check what is taking up all the space. For that we're going to use an application named OmniDiskSweeper. Download Omni Disksweeper from here --> https://www.omnigroup.com/more Use the trial or free version. That application will show the large files that are using the space of your hard drive. So you have to find and remove those unwanted big files that you are not using and empty the trash. DO NOT delete any system files from System, Library, Private folders etc. If you delete any system files, your Mac will not boot or load. Only delete files which are in your home folder. Scan with OmniDiskSweeper and it will give you an idea of what is taking up space. It will show large files and its location. Note it down. Then in Finder, click on GO menu at the top and select Home. This will take you to the home folder. Open each folder and delete unwanted files from there and empty the Trash. DO NOT trash iPhoto Library, Photos Library or iTunes Library. Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can you tell me how to do a back up to icloud
and then some notes about making more space on my computer
including how to copy my itunes muisc library to a hard drive so I can then delet some of it from my computer?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Of course I will tell. That is what you paid for. To do the iCloud backup, make sure you have enough space on iCloud. Do you have enough space on iCloud ? Go to www.icloud.com Login to your iCloud account and how much space available there ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have 44Gb free on icloud
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Omni is saying the big files are music and emails
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I dont mind deleting some music but i would like to save the whole libary to a hard drive first
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'd also happily save more of my emails on the cloud rather than in my laptop,
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
To do the backup to iCloud, on your old iPhone, go to Settings and tap iCloud. Tap iCloud and tap Backup Now button. This will do the backup to iCloud. It may take a few minutes to several hours depending up on the size of backup. Since Omni is reporting the space are taken by your emails and musics, you may not want to delete them. I will send you instructions to copy the Music Library to external drive
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
To copy the iTunes Musics folder to external drive, follow the steps below Close iTunes. Then in Finder, click on Go menu and select Home. This will open the home folder. Open Musics folder and you will find the iTunes folder there. Copy it to the external hard drive. Once it is copied, you can either delete the iTunes Library from the internal hard drive and start loading and using the library directly from external hard drive. Or you can keep the copy on external hard drive and then delete some musics from internal hard drive to free space.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Back up seems to be working
can I set it up to do this automatically say once a week?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Yes. Actually iPhone will automatically do the backup everyday when it is connected to WiFi, charging (plugged in) and screen is locked. You can also move your iPhoto or Photos Library to external hard drive and use directly from it. Go to your home folder, open Pictures folder and you will see the iPhoto or Photos Library there. Move it to external hard drive. Once it is copied successfully to the external hard drive, delete the one from internal hard drive. DO NOT delete the iPhoto/Photos library from your Mac's internal hard drive until you make sure it is copied to external hard drive. After making sure it is copied, delete the iPhoto/Photos Library from Pictures folder. Then hold down Option key and open Photos/iPhoto. Select Choose Library. Locate and select the iPhoto/Photos library from external hard drive
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
small problem. i cant find my external hard drive.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the back up is going to take 5 hours
but it looks like it will be automatically done after that, as you say
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
are you able to send me a transcript of this converstaion?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Then you have to delete unwanted files, musics, movies etc etc from your Mac and empty the trash. You must empty the trash, otherwise you will not get the space for the files you deleted. Yes, it will backup automatically only on the following conditionsYour device is connected to a power source.Your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network.Your device's screen is locked.You have enough available space in iCloud for the backup.
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me any time you want or access this conversation any time.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is there a way to save my emails on icloud?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
rather than on my laptop
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
If you setup the email on Mail application, then No. An offline copy will be downloaded to your internal hard drive (plus there will be a copy on server also)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, so there's no way to use icloud to save a copy of every email i get?
it seems to delet them?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Who is your email provider ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
me.com
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I found the hard drive!
So which folder do i copy in Music?
Itunes or itunes music
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
A copy should be saved on server and a copy will be downloaded to your Mail. If you delete the email from Mac, the copy will also be deleted from server. Copy both
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
So to have a copy on the server i have to keep a copy in mail?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Yes. Deleting from Mail on Mac will also delete the copy from server
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
and which music folder do i copy
itunes or itunes music?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Both. Copy everything in the Musics folder
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how do i copy all my photos onto my hard drive? not the library, just put a copy ther?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
You should copy the library as that contains all your photos. You can just click and drag them to the external hard drive icon. Or right click (or control + click) on the files you want to copy, select Copy. Open the external hard drive, right click on free space on there and click Paste
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where can i find the photo library?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
In the Pictures folder.
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
In Finder, click on Go menu and select Home. This will open the home folder. Open Pictures folder and you will find the iPhoto or Photos Library there
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if i just copy the whole pictures file to the external drive will thatwork or should i copy the two libraries specifically?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Better to copy the two libraries specifically.
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi there, How is it going ?
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Ashik, Its gone very well thank you - all finished for the time being. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
I'm very glad everything is fine :)