Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

I am using iMovie 10.1.1 and the preview window while editing

Customer Question

hi, i am using iMovie 10.1.1 and the preview window while editing is very jerky making it very difficult to accurately edit. I have tested a clip and it exports fine, just very jerky during edit
Category: Mac
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com.This jerky motion is caused by the rendering on-the-fly feature.If the machine (iMac) is not using a powerful enough video card, and enough RAM, you will get the jerky motion you see..How to solve this?Upgrade the hardware, and use a better piece of software....iMovie is for novices.....and i suggest a more professional approach using FinalCut.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer. I have just upgraded my mac from a very slow old machine to very fast with loads of RAM. I have tested same footage on both machines, it's not jerky on old machine, but is on new one
And you were using the exact same version of iMovie on both machines?
Also, if you are having a lot of programs OPEN at start up (on the new Mac), then your CPU and RAM are being taxed before iMovie ever gets a chance to use them. Then it doesnt matter how much RAM or CPU power you have, if they are being delegated to other programs..Check your resource's and monitor them, when iMovie is doing the preview, if the CPU spikes, and RAM usage spikes to max......then you may need to trun off other programs that are starting up.
All solutions lean on the fact that the iMovie does NOT have enough resources (RAM and CPU) which cause jerky motion during the LIVE preview.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your response. I'm just a bit confused as to why it's ok on my much older, slower machine
its hard to say, however....if you have programs that are starting up, and running when you start up the computer.....those programs will consume resources.When you open and run iMovie, the resources that are LEFT are what is available to iMovie.The older machine might not be having so many programs open and run at computer startup.Newer computers will have MORE programs open and start at computer startup than an older machine.Are you able to MONITOR the resources, and see how they spike when you are trying to use the preview in iMovie?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I have some urgent emails that need replying so I will have to check on this later, thanks
Sure, no problem.Please take a moment to rate my performance.
Any updates on this?