Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My contacts software in macbook pro is not working

my contacts software in macbook pro is not working
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. Close Contacts. Then go to System Preferences > iCloud and turn off Contacts in there. Then turn it back on. Check Contacts. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the contacts software was already off, including at the iCloud. I turned it on and am trying to switch on Contacts
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
nothing works, on ly a speeding wheel
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
When did this problem start ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
started 5 days ago. I noticed that there were lots of duplicates for every entry in my address book. I deleted all the 'empty' entries and also asked Contacts to delete duplicates. And then it stopped working
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts and you will see some accounts on left. Click each and does any of them have Contacts app checked ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
It is possible that the Contacts database got corrupted. Go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts and you will see some accounts on left. Click each and does any of them have Contacts app checked ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
None of the internet accounts have the Contacts app checked
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
So the contacts were saved locally. What version of Mac OS X are you using ? Do you have backup ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
El Captain. No backup
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
In Finder, click on Go menu and select Library. Open Applications Support folder and click and drag the Addressbook folder to desktop. Open Contacts app. Does it open now ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
in my go menu, there is no 'Library'
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Sorry missed a step while typing. Hold down Option key while in Go menu and you will see Library
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It does. All the entries disappeared, but it opened
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
That means it is the Contacts database that is corrupted. We can attempt to recover your contacts. Close Contacts. Move back the Addressbook folder back to Application Support folder. Now open Addressbook folder and trash the file named "AddressBook-v22.abcddb". Open Contacts
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
done
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Is it still blank ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Move the AddressBook-v22.abcddb back to Addressbook folder. Open Contacts.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
move it back from trash ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Yes, the file you trashed "AddressBook-v22.abcddb"
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i can do it, but a AddressBook -v22 is already there, even though I trashed it
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Replace the existing one there with the one you move from Trash
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
done it. No contacts listed
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Do you still have the Addressbook folder on Desktop ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i do
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Go to Library folder again. Open Application Support folder and trash the Addressbook folder from there. Now copy the Adressbook folder from desktop to Applications Support folder. Open Contacts
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do i do that ? i can't drag it, as it would fall within another folder
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
managed it
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Make sure you drag and drop it to Applications folder. Open Contacts
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
done it. No contacts
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
applications support, you mean ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Yes, Applications Support
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
done it, replacing "a newer version of Address Book".
No contacts
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
I'm afraid your Contacts database is corrupted somehow. Don't you have Time Machine backup ? Or do you have these Contacts in any of your email account or any other device ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have my contact on iPhone. Shall i sync ? How to make sure that it doesn't delete the ones in the iPhone instead ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
No, don't sync yet.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Since the database of your Mac got corrupted, lets setup a fresh database on your Mac.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Go to Applications Support folder and trash the Addressbook folder. Now on your iPhone, open App Store. Search and download the application named "My Contacts Backup". This app --> https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/my-contacts-backup/id446784593?mt=8 Use that application to make a complete backup of your contacts and email to your email address. You will receive the contact VCF file. Let me know once you did that
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
We're making a complete backup of Contacts using that application above. Let me know once you emailed the back up (vCard or VCF) to yourself, so we can transfer the contacts to your Mac
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok. there are a lot of my contacts backup there. I am downloading the first one.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
That app backup all the contacts to a single vCard/VCF file and allow it to email yourself. How many vCard files did you get ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the backup is done. Over 2000 entries. But the email is taking a while to come through
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Let me know when you get the email
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Did you get the email ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no. i had to buy a Pro version, as the basic one had a cap of 500 emails. But no email arrived yet...
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
500 emails ? You mean Contacts ? It is supposed to be instant.Try sending again, meantime go to www.icloud.com Login to your iCloud ID. Click Contacts and do you see the Contacts there ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just got the file. It was stuck in my iPhone outbox
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i am here now with the vcd file and the iCloud
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Do you see your contacts on iCloud ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yes, shall i tick it on ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
No, do you see all your contacts there ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i don't see any contacts inside. I don't know how to open it. TO be frank, perhaps I don't even know how to login in iCloud - all I did was go to preferences, iCloud
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Not there. Open Safari. Go to www.icloud.com Login to your iCloud ID there
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but, give that i had 4000 contacts to start with, and my back up now has 2.7, Contacts must have synced with iCloud even without opening in Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
How many contacts do you see on iCloud now ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, done. No contacts in iCloud
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
That means they are not syncing through iCloud
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
On your phone, go to Settings > iCloud and is Contacts turned on ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
because i didn't have contacts ticked in
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
all turned off, as I was fed up of having duplications in calendar and contacts. Not sure it has anything to do with that, but I turned it off
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
also turned off in the laptop
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Duplicate will usually occur if you sync Contact with multiple accounts like iCloud, email etc Open Contacts app on Mac. Click on File and select Import. Import the vcf you received via email.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Imported it, even though at some stage there was a message "there is a problem with import'
I have some 2000 contacts there
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
So do you see all your 2000 contacts there ? Check some random contacts and are they in full details ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
seem to be ok
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
shall i allow iCloud to back them up for me ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Keep the backup of that VCF file. Close Contacts. Open it again and make sure it is working properly
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
so far, so good
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Great ! Try the iCloud sync now
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do i do that ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Turn ON Contacts in System Preferences > iCloud Then on your iPhone (Settings > iCloud)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, am doing that. I think it backed up all contacts already
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
trying to sync calendars as well, but not working properly
but this is another issue...
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Make sure you keep a backup of that VCF file. It has all your contacts
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you !
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
You're most welcome !If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you. Bonuses and High marks on the surveys you get from JustAnswer are greatly appreciated.Have a great day,Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
done. Thanks a lot !
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.