Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

Since 9.3 upgrade I cant access my music app at all, other

since 9.3 upgrade I cant access my music app at all, other apps crash eg map my run. I have reloaded the apps, turned the i phone off and on several times. help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Michael and welcomeWhen an app crashes, what is the exact message you receive on the screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't receive a message it just crashes. I cant access my music app.please can I confirm that I have not signed up for any membership plan. I agreed (I hope not foolishly) to a one off deposit of £13 if you answer my question to my satisfaction. its VERY annoying to be sucked in to some monthly sign up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also cant access the app store
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, we do not suck you into anything here, there are monthly plans and you can choose to join this if you wish...What exactly happens when it crashes? Or when you try to access the music app?Please be as detailed as possible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I click on the music icon and i get a blank screen. if I leave it, it just goes back to the home screen. if i wait 15 secs or so i can double click on the home button and can then see the music screen but it is frozen. another important app "map my run" refused to work and crashed.what I meant by "sucking in" was that I was taken to a screen offering me three packages (none of which I wanted) and i couldn't get off that screen, it kept coming back. I know its n ot your fault personally, but it is frightening when you think you are being drawn on to something that might become very expensive without you knowing. :-) I am sure you understand.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
On the iPhone can you hold the home and power buttons for about 10 seconds until you see the Apple Logo, then release.Let the iPhone restart and tell me please if the apps now open.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done that many times over the last few days and nothing changes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you go to settings, General, Reset, Reset settings.Once done, repeat the last instructions I gave you and tell me if you still have the issue please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
reset ALL settings? I have done that - watching with interest. screen gone blank a few times.....opening up slowly, I will come back to you, just need to ask what the kids want for lunch
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, when we asked what you have already tried Michael you indicated "I have reloaded the apps, turned the i phone off and on several times. help"So we don't keep going over things you actually have tried, please tell me what you really have done already in addition to the above
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its re-oprend again and the music app still wont function - white screen as before.... sorry to be so awkward!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, when we asked what you have already tried Michael you indicated"I have reloaded the apps, turned the i phone off and on several times. help"So we don't keep going over things you actually have tried, please tell me what you really have done already in addition to the above
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
01/04/2016 12:13
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Michael,Can you reply to my question I keep asking please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive not done anything else - sorry, I didnt understand what you meant. I have turned it off and on several times lkke you suggested and have reset all settings after you told me to, I have not done anything else.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, thank you for clarifying.Can you go to settings, General, Reset, Reset Network Settings.Let this complete and when it has, restart the phone again, connect to your wifi network via Settings, Wifi and tell me if the apps now open please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope. the music app still comes up as a white screen and then it switches back to the home screen.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, we will need to do a full reset of the iPhone, this will remove all data from the phone and return it to new, so please backup any data you require to keep first to your computer.Then go to Settings, General, Reset, Erase all content and Reset settings.Once done, setup the phone again like when you first received it and tell me if the apps now work please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My last back up was on 23rd March so I thought I would just re sync it before doing as you say. but it wont sync because it says the "sync session failed to start". what should I do?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Perform a backup instead, via Device, Backup
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've clicked on back up now and it still says the "sync session failed to start"
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then you will not be able to backup due to this issue, you will need to do the reset
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unfortunately deleted all the previous back ups - so will this definitely work?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
we need to reload the firmware and if the problem remains then we know its a hardware issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I have now backed up so am less worried! it was wanting to sync some recent purchases which was causing the problem, but it has now backed up so I will do the erase all content and reset settings....
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is taking a long time to restore to my i phone from i tunes. It just says "restoring i phone from back up - estimating time remaining" but it has been looking like that for 20 minutes, all very nerve wrecking!!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but did you first do the erase all content and reset settings? did it functions correctly after doing that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i think so but i plugged it straight in to i tunes to restore everything, still waiting on that. is there anything else i can do now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you will need to wait, give it another 20 minutes please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there any way I can tell if it is still doing something?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, just to see if it completes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so that's 20 minutes or so....it is still saying the same thing....I'm worried about it.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I still though am not sure why you restored the backup as it was not part of my instructions...But disconnect the phone, restart it and tell me what then happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as i was starting up the phone after the deletion process it asked me on the Apps and Data page:
restore from i cloud
restore from i tunes
set up as new phone
move data from androidso i clicked restore from i tunes back up. should i have set up as new i phone?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, as that was the process, as I wanted to rule out a corrupted firmware.But what now happens when you disconnect the phone and restart it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems to be working. my music is all there and the app works. my videos are also there and that now works but it hasn't restored all my other apps and my calendar is blank etc nor my e mails - what shall I do now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you need to install your apps again from the App Store, and add your email account backIt looks like the backup could not do everything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think the back up worked at all did it? it certainly hadn't finished. I got my music and the videos from the i tunes store so i will try and back it up again now - is that a good idea?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ah ok, then no it appears not to at all.try to back it up now, you should do it regularly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the i tunes page has frozen completely now so I might need to shut down the Mac and re start it which will mean losing contact with you?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you can return to this web page again, just come back here please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - i can also do it through the e mails that have been coming in?
thanks for your help. i am not very technically minded and it frightens me how much faith we put in these things. ,my life is on my i phone!! I will shut down now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
that is correct.Awaiting your return
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
back again, it all seems to be syncing, apps and everything. cant be quite sure that it is back to normal until it finishes. its on 15 of 19 in the stage 6 of 6 so nearly there.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, let me know when it is all done please
Richard, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple Computers Specialist