Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Dear , I bought the Imac 27 inch in 2013 / 14 from PC world

Dear ,
I bought the Imac 27 inch in 2013 / 14 from PC world Yeading, it remained in the box sealed, my daughter did not need it until 2015, we opened it from the box, the kids enjoyed watching youtube for 2 hours only then the computer shut itself until this moment, no power , no light or signal of life. I took it to apple genius, they said it is logic board. bearing in mind that we did not remove the plastic film on the screen, later I discovered that the vents are on the lower border of the screen were blocked by the protective screen sheet.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately if you did not get Applecare then your warranty is over since it is only a year. If Apple told you the logic board is shot (probably from overheating since it could not ventilate it properly) then I am not sure what you expect to do. The logic board needs to be replaced. ALWAYS remove any plastic from new electronics before you turn it on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apple did not put any must sign to remove the screen protector, do you think they are responsible for sealing the vents with out any warning, do you think this is a case we could submit to apple
Most electronics especially computers produce heat that needs to be dissipated. I believe there is some type of warning in the instructions. You can try but I would not even tell them you left the plastic on that means without a doubt you caused it. It sounds better if it just failed on it's own...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 100 % sure there was no warning to remove the screen cover.
How much the logic board cost
I am sure there where instructions to remove the plastic. It just wasn't on the plastic itself. I have no idea about the cost you would have to get some quotes from Apple or other Authorized service provider. See this image of the iMac instructions:https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-22345366-267629/450-250/Screen+Shot+2013-06-26+at+5.02.38+PM.jpg
That may not be the problem I think the Apple "Genius" was just guessing. Usually the protective circuits shut it down before that happens . It may be a much cheaper part... did they actually take it apart and check it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how we can resolve this issue ?
I would take it in and get a real quote they have to take it apart to find out what is really wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Take it in to where, do you mean apple?
Yes or other Authorized service provider. I would not tell them you left the plastic on just that you never used it until now and it only ran for a few hours.
I showed you the image of the iMac instructions did you see that? It says to remove the plastic...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still think that it was their responsibility to make a clear instruction on the screen, they sealed the vents. I don't know why you are trying to defend Apple.
Anyway what other cheaper part you think of as a probability ?
I am not defending Apple I am just telling you in my opinion what is the best way to go about getting it repaired for a good price if any. You asked the question and I am answering you honestly considering my experience with Apple... It could only be the power supply which is much cheaper....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,
Ok good luck. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apple genius said the lower gaps in the lower borders of the screen are speakers and not vents. Fore such a huge impact there must be a good enough signing.
It depends on the exact model on a 2013 iMac they are on the bottom:http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/00002975b/a3f9/IMG-0068-1.jpg