Tim
Tim, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Bachelor ofScience in InformationTechnology degree
75378780

My iMac has gone completely dead! Doesn't switch on, nothing.

My iMac has gone completely dead! Doesn't switch on, nothing. What can I do??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
When you plug the charger in, does the charging light on the charger show?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No everything is completely dead. No sign of life
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can u connect if there is nothing to connect to?
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
I obviously can't connect.....That's my intro, doesnt apply to you.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
you have one of three problems. -1 the charger is dead (unlikely) Cost on Carger is about 30.00. -2. the powersupply in the MAC is dead. 200.00+ to have Apple do it. -3. The mother board is dead. 500+ to have apple do it. There are not alot of independent places that fix macs, its usually apple. Sorry about this.....but its definitely a hardware failure.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Depending on where you live, i might be able to recommend a place, or next steps.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if that makes sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am a journalist and can't afford to be without it. I don't have a spare. There is an apple shop in Brighton where I live so will I have to take it in? Can they give me another while they fix this???
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
They normally don't give out loners, that's a risky and non used type deal. If you talk to the manager, maybe you can work something out. Depending on your budget, I might look into buying another and having the old hard drive put in - that's up to you. I'm not sure what their turn around is, but its not 24 hours, that's for sure. I might suggest as a back up plan going forward, to purchase a used mac from http://www.macofalltrades.com/ I use one from them for mac support here at JA, and you can get a back up for about 450.00 thats a few years old.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if this makes sense, or if there is anything else i can help you with. Also, please take the time to rate me in the upper right hand corner, as I do this for a living. Any further helped needed on this problem will be free
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
One thing i know they would do is let you buy one and return it in under two weeks.....kind of a loaner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you. How long do iMacs usually last for? Mine is several yrs old.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me how long iMacs usually last for please
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the same as pretty much any mid to high end notebook. 3-5 years.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Anything else?
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
and of course the amount they last, some of that is how you use it. a laptop left on a desk 24/7 can make 7 years+ assuming the cmos battery was change. But a normal, on the go laptop to work, school, played with in the house...3-5 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So it seems I must buy a new one tomorrow. And does the hard drive have to come out of the old one, is that right???
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
if there is data on the old one that you need, yes. Ask them to please transfer your data instead of swapping harddrives.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
As far as i know you keep everyhing in the cloud. Also remember what ever editorial software you use, will need to be reinstalled. They can help you with that as well.
Tim, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: Bachelor ofScience in InformationTechnology degree