Tim
Tim, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Bachelor ofScience in InformationTechnology degree
75378780

My iMac has gone completely dead! Doesn't switch on, nothing.

My iMac has gone completely dead! Doesn't switch on, nothing. What can I do??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
When you plug the charger in, does the charging light on the charger show?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No everything is completely dead. No sign of life
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can u connect if there is nothing to connect to?
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
I obviously can't connect.....That's my intro, doesnt apply to you.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
you have one of three problems. -1 the charger is dead (unlikely) Cost on Carger is about 30.00. -2. the powersupply in the MAC is dead. 200.00+ to have Apple do it. -3. The mother board is dead. 500+ to have apple do it. There are not alot of independent places that fix macs, its usually apple. Sorry about this.....but its definitely a hardware failure.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Depending on where you live, i might be able to recommend a place, or next steps.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if that makes sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am a journalist and can't afford to be without it. I don't have a spare. There is an apple shop in Brighton where I live so will I have to take it in? Can they give me another while they fix this???
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
They normally don't give out loners, that's a risky and non used type deal. If you talk to the manager, maybe you can work something out. Depending on your budget, I might look into buying another and having the old hard drive put in - that's up to you. I'm not sure what their turn around is, but its not 24 hours, that's for sure. I might suggest as a back up plan going forward, to purchase a used mac from http://www.macofalltrades.com/ I use one from them for mac support here at JA, and you can get a back up for about 450.00 thats a few years old.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if this makes sense, or if there is anything else i can help you with. Also, please take the time to rate me in the upper right hand corner, as I do this for a living. Any further helped needed on this problem will be free
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
One thing i know they would do is let you buy one and return it in under two weeks.....kind of a loaner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you. How long do iMacs usually last for? Mine is several yrs old.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me how long iMacs usually last for please
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the same as pretty much any mid to high end notebook. 3-5 years.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Anything else?
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
and of course the amount they last, some of that is how you use it. a laptop left on a desk 24/7 can make 7 years+ assuming the cmos battery was change. But a normal, on the go laptop to work, school, played with in the house...3-5 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So it seems I must buy a new one tomorrow. And does the hard drive have to come out of the old one, is that right???
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
if there is data on the old one that you need, yes. Ask them to please transfer your data instead of swapping harddrives.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
As far as i know you keep everyhing in the cloud. Also remember what ever editorial software you use, will need to be reinstalled. They can help you with that as well.