Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have an iPhone 6 running iOs 9.3.1 I have MacBook running

I have an iPhone 6 running iOs 9.3.1
I have MacBook running OSX E Capitan 10.11.4
On my iPhone I turned off iCloud Photo Library and My Photo Stream (I want to delete the photos on my iPhone and re-sync with iCloud).
BUT
when I connect my iPhone to my Mac I get a repeating pinging sound and my Mac does not seem to recognise my iPhone.
What should I do?
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 8 months ago.
Restart both the Mac and the Phone, then reconnect it and let me know if you still get the ping sound.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, I still get the pinging sound.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But my iPhone is now syncing with my Mac!However, Image Capture (which I think I need to use to delete the photos on my iPhone) tells me that "no camera or device is connected".
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
And I have 27 gigs of photos to delete on the iPhone.
OK go here and download Maintenance for your system version:http://www.titanium.free.fr/maintenance.htmlFollow the directions and let it check your drive then check all boxes and Execute, let me know if the problem persists after restart.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, I am doing this now. I will let you know how I get on.
OK then open Photos, in Photos, click on your plugged in device in the sidebar to select it. In the upper left corner of the screen, check the box that says “Open Photos.”
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not sure what you mean. When I open Photos I'm my Mac I cannot find my iPhone in the sidebar (just 'photos' and 'albums' - the the page says 'Moment' at the top.
Did you run Maintenance? Is the phone plugged in to the computer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes and yes.
Go to the Apple Logo to About this Mac then System information, select USB on the left do you see iPhone listed on the right?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, iPhone is listed in the USB Device tree.
Very odd that Photos does not see it then. Are you sure you do not see iPhone at the top on the left in Photos?
Try this:Resetting the SMC & PRAM on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own 1. Shut down the computer. 2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected. 3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time, if it starts up you held the power button before the other keys, try again. 4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. 5. Press the power button to turn on the computer. 6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears. 7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice. 8. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should I leave mu iPhone connected while I do this?
No unplug everything
After restart open ONLY Photos nothing else
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have opened Photos - what should i be looking for - and should I now connect my iPhone?
Yes plug the phone in and look in the upper left of the Photos window
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I plugged in my iPhone, it pinged for about 30 seconds - but nothing happened in Photos. I am looking at the 'Moments' view in Photos, and the only thing in the sidebar is 'Photos' then a list of 'Albums'.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Have I got the right view open in Photos? I never remember seeing my iPhone in the sidebar in the past.
OK did you see my offer to remote connect?
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, have just accepted your offer
OK using the computer that has the issue, go to the link below and click on Join your Session then select Download and allow the app to run, if you get a message about "unknown developer" go to System Preferences / Security & Privacy / General tab and at the bottom click on Allow Anyway, then look for my messages on your screen: http://mikethemacmedic.com:8040/?Session=66c6f1c0-9c7c-41d4-bc3a-c473b9edc108
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I already use Duplicate Annihilator, but each I time I connect my iPhone it copies the duplicates from the iPhone back to the Mac! So that will not solve the problem, I think.
You don't have to connect it any longer if you are using the iCloud Library... If you want to use the iCloud Photo Library then ALL of your photos are on your phone as well as in the iCloud Library, that is the way it is supposed to work. You never have to plug it in to your computer any longer if you use that method. You can optimize the storage on the phone so they take up very little space but that is the way it works. You can use that software to find the duplicates if that is what happened and then remove them which will remove them from both.
If you don't want all those phots on your iPhone then you have to keep two separate Libraries for Photos one that is the iCloud System Library and one that is just for photos you want to save but do not want them on the phone too....
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But right now how do I remove the duplicates from my iPhone?And when I connect my iPhone to back it up, how do I prevent it from syncing with Photos?
There is no need to connect it. Turn on the iCloud Library and they automatically sync, photos removed from the iCloud Library in Photos on the computer will also be removed from phone.
They are synced over the internet you don't have to plug the phone in any more.
Make sure you have them both on. On the phone go to Settings / iCloud / Photos turn on iCloud Photo Library turn them all on and Optimize Phone storage.
Then on the computer in Photos / Preferences / iCloud turn them all on and Optimize the Mac Storage unless you have enough room to keep the originals
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Make sure your Photos Library is the System Photos Library. Then get rid of the duplicates on the Mac and they will be removed from the phone too.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Go to Photos / Preferences / General if Use as System Photos Library is grayed out then you are good
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes - it's greyed out.
OK then you should be good. The libraries are synced. No need to ever plug it in to the computer again unless you need to do a special procedure...