Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a mass storage device which I have used on my iMac and

I have a mass storage device which I have used on my iMac and other computers in my work for over 2 years. I have just purchased a MacBook and it was set up at the Apple Store yesterday. When it is plugged into the iMac and I check the the Toshiba extension I am informed that "you can read and write". When I attach the device to the new MacBook and check the Toshiba extension it informs me that it is read only. How do I get it to read and write on the new MacBook? Help will be greatly received. Thanks for a very old computer novice.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information: • The exact system Version (listed right under OS X ??) • Processor • Memory
What do you mean by the Toshiba "extension"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the extension is the portable device for storage of files the yes. The MacBook is a retina 12 inch, processor. Is 1.2 GHz Intel core M with a memory of 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3.
Chris
Depending on the system version do this:10.11 or aboveReboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run.________10.10 or belowReboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.
Did you try that? Your description of an "extension:" is not accurate. Do you still want help?