Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Restarted my iMac cursor moves OK but cannot open any apps

Customer Question

Restarted my iMac cursor moves OK but cannot open any apps and the drop down menus are not working . Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. MyName is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question Are you using a mouse or touchpad ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
90% of the times, this usually happens if your touchpad/mouse is stuck at clicked position. When it is in clicked position, it will not register any more clicks and that is why it is not opening anything. If you have any other Bluetooth or wireless mouse there, turn it off or remove the battery of it. If you don't have any wireless or Bluetooth mouse, then it is the touchpad/mouse that is stuck at clicked position which could be either hardware or software related. (Note : If you have more than one mouse/touchpad there, then use one at a time - turn off and remove the battery from other one) Now we can run some troubleshooting steps to make sure this is not an issue with your Mac. First reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below; Shut down thec omputer.Unplug the power cord and also disconnect all other devices.Wait 20 seconds.Attach the power cord.Wait five seconds,then press the power button to turn on the computer. If that didn't work,then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below; Shut down your MacRestart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same timeHold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or threetimes.Release the keys and let the Mac bootup. Check if you are able to click now. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.