Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Why have cetain screens on my i phone become locked?

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. That could be a glitch. First we can reset your iPhone and see if it works or not. Press and hold down the Power button and Home button at the same time until it shows the Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons and let it boot. Note : Power button is the button you use to turn off your iPhone or its screen. Home button is the round button at front bottom. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I still cannot access my text messages. I can now use the keypad for the phone, but still cannot connect the number after I have dialled
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
When you held down both buttons, did it show Apple logo automatically ? What happens when you open Messages app ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It took a bit of time for the Apple logo to come up. When I go to Messages, it just shows a blank screen
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
If reset doesn't work, that means the software is corrupted. I want you to reset again. Hold down Home and Power button at same time until it shows Apple logo. Release the buttons when you see Apple logo (ignore slide to turn off message if asked). After resetting, take out the SIM from iPhone and put it back (this will re-register it with network) Then go to Settings tap General tap Software Updates. If there is any software update available, update from there. (Important: Before doing software update if any available, first go to Settings > iCloud and turn off Find My iPhone option there) Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have followed instructions up to "Find My i phone" , it will not allow me to turn this off
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
What happens when you turn it off ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Same as before, it took about 10/15 seconds for the Apple logo to come up. I dont know if this is relevant but the back of the phone is getting quite hot
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
It is not supposed to get hot. Go to Settings > iCloud and turn off Find My iPhone option there. It will ask for your iCloud password. Enter your iCloud password ***** it will turn off. Let me know if it not
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The i Cloud - Find my i Phone is locked. It will not let me access it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
When you touch on the green switch right to it, does it ask you for a password ? Or do you know the password ***** your Apple ID/iCloud ID listed there ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is nt allowing me to do anything. The line Find My i Phone is dull, compared to the text on the other sections, which respond when I press them. I have just updated my Apple password
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
Wait..dull ? Do you have the restrictions turned on ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
Go to Settings tap General tap Restrictions and is it ON ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes it is on. I do not know what the restrictions passcode is.
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
That is the reason. Someone/you has turned it on and that is why certain features are not working. Normally restriction passcode is same your iPhone's screen lock passcode. Did you try that ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, have tried the screen lock code 3 times now and it has showed failed each time
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately, if you don't remember the passcode then you have to erase/restore the iPhone and setup it as new. Erasing will delete everything from it. This is how Apple designed it. Is it ok with you ? If you have any important files on it, then you can backup them to your computer before erasing it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, so what do I have to do? How do I back-up everything to my computer and then how do I restore the phone as new?
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ (open the downloaded file and follow onscreen instructions to install it) Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.Open iTunes application on your computer.iTunes will recognize your iPhone. Select your iPhone in the top left (select iPhone icon)Then in Summary section, click Backup and make sure "To this computer" is selected.Then click Restore button and let it restore. It will take some time to restore the iPhone . After restoring, you will get option to restore your backup. Select Restore from backup and all your files will be restored. Now check Restrictions and see if it is ON or OFF. If it is ON, then restore it again and this time, setup it as new iPhone. (Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPhone (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button - a downward arrow button with spinning circle around it, at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
You should also save a copy of your photos/videos to your computer locally. I will send you instructions for that. Are you using an Apple Mac or Windows computer ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is HP computer using Windows
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
First connect the iPhone to your computer. It will recognize the iPhone. If asked to import pictures and videos, click Yes or Import. Then open This PC or Computer. In there, along with other drives like C, D etc you will see iPhone there (in "This PC" or "Computer window). Right click on it and select Import Pictures and Videos Then do the steps in my previous answer to backup and restore your iPhone.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry for the dealy in replying, but I now find that I cannot download i tunes to my computer; I can't find out why. Therefore it would seem that I have reached a dead-end on this issue.
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
Hi there, There is a way to erase it using iCloud without using iTunes. But the issue is, you will not be able to backup without iTunes. Do you have any important stuffs on your iPhone ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have already back-up my photos and I should be able to link up with my emails again afterwards, so I guess it wont matter too much if I lose other stuff
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
Yes, emails and other online based things can be reestablished after restoring it. Contacts, Calendar etc should be in iCloud as well. Make sure the photos are backed up to your computer. If you have iCloud enabled on it and also if your iPhone is connected to WiFi/internet, then you can do the erase (restore) from iCloud - so you don't have to go through the restore steps. On your computer, go to www.icloud.com Login to your iCloud/Apple account. Click Find My iPhone. Select your iPhone under All Devices. Click Erase button and it will be erased (if it is connected to WiFi network). Let me know how it goes
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dear Ashik, finally I am up and running again. Many thanks for your assistance. Regards Steve
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
Hi Steve, I'm very glad to hear that and you're very welcome. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Best Regards,Ashik