Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have forgotten the access password to my Mac mini. I can

Customer Question

I have forgotten the access password ***** my Mac mini. I can only gain entry as a guest user.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you don't remember the password, then you can reset the password ***** booting into Mac OS X Utilities screen.

Follow the steps below to reset the password.

Turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button for 5-10 seconds.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Click on the“Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal".

In Terminal, type(without space)--> resetpassword

Press return. This will bring Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at top column,select the user account from the drop down under it, confirm the user account and then change password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.

Turn it back on.After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create New Keychain.

If you are still getting keychain error, then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

Go to System Preferences > iCloud and click Sign Out. If asked to keep or delete stuffs,click Keep. Then in Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu at the top bar and select Library. This will open Library folder. Trash Keychain folder in there and restart your Mac.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
didn't work for me. Probably my fault, not theexperts
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. Please tell me at which step you have trouble ? So I will walk you through it from there

Also what version of Mac OS X are you using ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I viewed your answer and followed it through, no success. Your answer is exactly the same as the one given by Apple support. They are apparently designed for "Yosemite" and have not been updated for "El Capitan" which is my current 0S.
Regards,
Bob
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

The above method is for 10.7 and later version. For 10.6 or lower it is different.

But there is another to reset the password. I will send you the instructions ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

This is not a direct way, but this is guaranteed to work. We can boot your Mac to a special mode called Single User Mode. Then type some commands/texts there which will force your Mac to bring the new account setup screen. So you can setup a brand new admin account and then use that account to reset the password ***** your original account. This might seem a little difficult, but it is actually easy.

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Turn off/shut down your Mac.

• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

(If it returns any errors, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly). Make sure you enter the commands exactly

When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer)

Login to new account. Then in new account (which will be blank), go to System Preferences > Accounts or Users & Groups, select your old account and change/reset the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account.