Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Every so often me iMac is held to ransom my computer as been

every so often me iMac is held to ransom my computer as been blocked please ring this number so that microsoft can talk me through it I know this is a scam but how do I stop this from happening.please help
kind regards
david
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is a SCAM and it is possible that your Mac is infected with some kind of malware/adware. On what browser are you seeing this message ? Safari, Firefox or Chrome ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the browser I am using is safari
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Press Command, Option and Esc keys and this will bring Force Quit window. Select Safari and click Force Quit. This will close Safari.

Then hold down Shift key on your keyboard and open Safari. Click on Safari menu and select Clear History and Website Data. On the dropdown next to Clear, select All History and click Clear History.

(If you see Reset Safari instead, click it and Reset Safari)

That will remove it. Close and re-open Safari.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Also, download this AntiMalware application and do a scan with it -> https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Let me know how it goes

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Just checking. How is it going ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ashik
as my iMac as not been held to ransom since the last time it happened I can't really let you know at the moment I have downloaded the antimalware application as you suggested I have done a scan and it hasn't found anything as yet.so I can't really comment at the moment
kind regards
david
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

That means there is no malware installed on your Mac. What you saw was a fake website with fake message. Your Mac is not infected with anything which is good news. These usually comes from online ads, adult websites, click-bait messages like "you won iPad", "free gift cards" etc. Never click on these kind of messages and never install apps that you don't trust.

There might be still the files of that message stored on your Mac. So I'd recommend you to clear your Safari to get rid of old internet files and this will clear the scam files as well. Click on Safari menu and select Clear History and Website Data. On the dropdown next to Clear, select All History and click Clear History.

If you ever see this message again, then force quit Safari, open it by holding down Shift key and clear Safari. That is all it needed. Also make sure you do regular software updates from Apple > App Store > Updates or Apple > Software Updates.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you.

Also, add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so if it happens again you can get back to me directly via that bookmark without paying again.

Best Regards,
Ashik