Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to

Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I am getting the error message on Safari regarding plug in "librooksbas.dylib"
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Could you please explain your question a little more ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Yes...initially I was getting an error message when attempting to open Safari I was receiving an error message regarding plug in librooks plug in. I followed a previous question/answer session; however, no I can not open Safari OR chrome on my computer. They are both giving me error messages
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any plugin like Rapport installed ?

Hold down Shift key and open Safari or Chrome. Does they open ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know about the Rapport Plugin...the shift key did not work. I am receiving the same error message
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you inadvertently installed a plugin named Rapport and that is causing the error. Do you have another working browser ? Like Firefox ?

Or do you have another computer there ? We need to download a uninstaller application and run it on you rMac

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Search Rapport in Spotlight, searchbox in top right and does it return anything ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it returns several documents with Rapport in the name. I do have another computer.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Search Rapport in Spotlight, searchbox in top right and does it return anything ? Like a Rapport.dmg file.

If so, open it and you will see a file named Uninstall Rapport

Open it and follow the onscreen instructions to uninstall it.

If you don't have that file, then download that file on a different computer from here --> http://download.trusteer.com/Gcur4Wtnu/leopard/Rapport.dmg

Copy it to a flash drive or USB drive, put it on your Mac and open it and then Uninstall Rapport.

Then also download and scan your Mac with this Antimalware application --> https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

Remove all malwares. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it returns 13 of those exact files named "Rapport-1.dmg; Rapport-2.dmg, Rapport-3.dmg" and so on and so forth. I've clicked on one of them and it opens a box that gives me "Rapport.pkg" icon and "Uninstall Rapport" icon. Should I click on the "uninstall Rapport" icon?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Uninstall it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I click on Uninstall Rapport it returns a message box that says "Uninstall Rapport is an application downloaded rom the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?" It also continues to say "Uninstall Rapport" is on the disk image "Rapport-13.dmg". Safari downloaded this disk image on June 11, 2012 from www.trusteer.com."
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, open it and uninstall it

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

How is it going ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have about 13 of them to uninstall. Ive tried to uninstall just 1 but it doesn't appear to have disappeared from the search when I search for Rapport. Does that mean it isn't uninstalled?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You don't have to uninstall them all. Just uninstall any one and the core files will be deleted from your Mac. If you ran uninstall for any one, then open Safari or Chrome and do they open ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive deleted 3 of them but it is still giving me an error message when I open safari and chrome.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

After opening Uninstall Rapport, did it give any message regarding giving approval to uninstall ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put in my administrator password. It also put an icon for a file on the computer desktop named "trusteer Rapport"
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

We may need to uninstall it manually. I want you to open that Rapport.dmg file again, this time Install Rapport. After installing it, open the Rapport.dmg file and this time click Uninstall. Uninstall it and restart your Mac. Let me know how it goes

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

To install it, open Rapport.pkg file.

Then uninstall it again. Restart your Mac. Check Safari or Chrome. If it still not working, then we can manually removed it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed, then uninstalled, restarted the computer and then attempted to open Safari and it still gave me an error message.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Is it still showing librooksbas.dylib error ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What error is it showing now ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The files on the desktop are no longer there. The new error message just says "Google Chrom/Safari" quit unexpectedly and then it gives me details on it but I have no idea what any of it means.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Could be some malware installed along with them. On your other computer, download the Antimalware application from here ---> https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

Copy it to a flash or USB drive. Put it on your Mac and run the anti malware. Do a scan and does it find any malware ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I let you secure connect to the computer are you able to install the anti malware?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I can, but you will not be able to establish the connection without a browser. So secure will not work for now. Do you have a working browser there ? like Firefox ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I do not have one that will open. I have Safari and Chrome and neither one is working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chrome was working before I followed the instructions to delete the librooks plugin but after I did that Chrome wouldn't open either.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You said you have another computer there. Are you talking to me from that computer now ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

On that computer, click this link and it will download a file named MBAM-Mac-1.2.4.584.dmg

Link --> https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/web/MBAM-Mac-1.2.4.584.dmg

Can you copy this downloaded file to your Mac ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I copy it to the MAC? I do have a jump drive.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Open the Downloads folder in this computer. Then copy the downloaded file to the jump drive. Then put that jump drive on your Mac and you will see the dmg file. Open it and open the malwarebytes Anti Malare application

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will do that right now. Give me a few :-)
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Take your time. Good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using a Windows Computer though...it gave me an error stating it has to search for a program to open it. Should I be using another Mac to open the malware?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The malwarebytes.com website opened on the computer I am on. Will that work if I download it on this computer and then put it on the jump drive and open it on the Mac?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the link I sent you is the direct link of the Mac version of that software. You need to copy the downloaded DMG file to jump drive and then put it on your Mac and open it.

Here is the direct link to download the Mac version of Malwarebytes- -> https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/web/MBAM-Mac-1.2.4.584.dmg

This dmg file will only work on Mac

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's still telling me windows can't open the file. Let me grab my MacBook pro and use that
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You don't open it on Windows. It is a Mac specific file. After downloading it, copy that dmg file to jump drive. Then put that jump drive on your problem Mac and run it on Mac itself.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

On your Windows computer or any computer, just click this link --> https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/web/MBAM-Mac-1.2.4.584.dmg

That is a direct link. So when you click on it, either it will automatically download it or it will ask you to open it or save it. Choose Save. After saving it, open the Downloads folder and you will see the downloaded MBAM-Mac-1.2.4.584.dmg file

This is the file you need to copy to jump drive and run on your Mac.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I was able to install it on the Mac. Can I open it?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, open it and on your Mac and do a scan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ugh, I'm running into one problem after another. Now it's saying "You can't use this version of the application Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with this version of Mac OS X. I'm not understanding why it's saying this bc I have just checked to see if the computer needs any updates and it told me everything was up-to-date.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like you are on an older version of OS X. Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. You can find the version number there.

The latest is 10.11 El Capitan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just did another check for software updates and it told me "your software is up to date." I'm lost.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

No, you are not. You are on latest updates of the current OS X version. But you are behind the major upgrade. Tell me the version of OS X you are using

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10.6.8
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

10.6.8 is a very older OS X and almost 7 years old. Apple has stopped updating 10.6 years ago. The latest is 10.11 El Capitan. 10.6.8 is also very vulnerable to malware out there and that could be problem you are facing.

Follow the steps below to upgrade the OS X if your Mac support it.

Click on the Apple icon and App Store. This will bring App Store. Click Updates tab. If your Mac can handle latest OS X, then you will see Mac OS X El Capitan there with FREE UPGRADE button. Click Free Upgrade and enter your Apple ID and password.

This will download the upgrade. It may take a few hours to download. Once the download is completed, it will bring the OS X Installer. Follow the onscreen instructions to install it. It may take up to 3 hours to install the upgrade. I'm positive that installing this update should fix the problem you are having + it will allow you to run the Anti malware

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Don't you see Mac OS X El Capitan banner and FREE UPGRADE button in App Store ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am downloading it now. Not sure why it was telling me the software was up to date? Very strange! So how should we proceed to make sure the problem has been resolve?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

The terms are different - Upgrade and Update

I know this doesn't make any sense. But Apple prefer this way. All this time, you have been checking updates of older OS X, but the real upgrade (major version) was in App Store under Updates. An Upgrade under Updates tab of App Store. Confusing I know.

Let the update complete. Also Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me any time you want via that bookmark. This question will not be closed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will let you know as soon as possible. Thanks!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

When the download is completed, it will bring the OS X installer automatically. Just follow the onscreen instructions and it will be upgraded to latest OS X. After upgrading, I want you to run the Malwarebytes Anti malware and delete all malwares. Good luck

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You're most welcome and good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I delete Malwares before attempting to open Safari or Chrome?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, run Malwarebytes Anti Malware before you run Safari or Chrome. And you probably have an outdated version of Chrome since it was installed in 10.6.8

So better to download a fresh copy and here is the direct link of Chrome (Mac version) which you can download from your PC and copy it to your Mac using jump drive --> https://dl.google.com/chrome/mac/stable/GGRO/googlechrome.dmg

Here is Firefox if needed --> https://download-installer.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/releases/47.0.1/mac/en-US/Firefox%2047.0.1.dmg

(Download them using your Windows computer, copy to jump drive and run them on Mac like you did for Malwarebytes Anti malware)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem has been fixed with the upgrade and redownload of Chrome. Also, Safari is working! Thank you so much!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You're most welcome !

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit at the top of this page. Then only I will get credit for helping you. Bonuses and High marks on the surveys you get from JustAnswer are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Ashik