Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have had a warning that my Mac is infected and information

Customer Question

I have had a warning that my Mac is infected and information including passwords and email details stolen and asked to phone *********** Is this a scam or genuine Apple support.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

That is a SCAM message. Don't call them

Press Command, Option and Esc keys and this will bring Force Quit window. Select Safari and click Force Quit. This will close Safari.

Then hold down Shift key on your keyboard and open Safari. Click on Safari menu and select Clear History and Website Data. On the dropdown next to Clear, select All History and click Clear History.
(If you see Reset Safari instead, click it and Reset Safari)
That will remove it.

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above or if you are unable to remove it, please reply in here and I will continue to help you. Please let me know how it goes. Looking forward to your reply

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did phone the number and they advised me to do what you are advising. I followed it but stopped when they asked me to force quit Safari. I am not convinced this is part of the scam.