Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

What is the best way on my MAC to allow me to talk and have

What is the best way on my MAC to allow me to talk and have it turned into text….I am writing a book
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. I'm working on your question now. I will reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

There is an built in feature called Dictation and Speech that allow you to do this. Go to Apple menu and select System Preferences, then click Dictation & Speech. Then turn on Dictation in there and choose the desired options in here. For many application, click on Edit menu and you will see Start Dictation option there. Or just press Fn key on your keyboard to start dictation.

Follow the instructions in this article --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202584

(Note : You must have Mac OS X 10.8 or later version of OS X. If you are using lower OS X version, then you need to upgrade the OS X. Please let me know the version of OS X you are using and I will send you instructions to upgrade)

Let me know how it goes please

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

There is also a third party application named Dragon Disctate that does this more efficiently than built in feature. It is a paid application, but if you are going to use this feature a lot, then it is worth it. See here --> http://www.nuance.com/for-individuals/by-product/dragon-for-mac/software/index.htm

If you have any questions or if you need any more help, please feel free to let me know and I will continue to help you until you are 100% satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK…I will try and get back to you if I have a problem Thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You're most welcome. I also posted an alternate solution. If you didn't get it, here it is :

Remember, you need to have latest OS X to get best out of these features. To upgrade the OS X or software, click on Apple > App Store. Click Updates tab and do all updates. If you see FREE UPGRADE of OS X there, then do it as well.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit at the top of this page. Then only I will get credit for helping you. You can get back to me any time you want even if you rate this answer.

Best Regards,
Ashik

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks…I was able to get onto the dictation and talked a bit but I have no clue where to find the text
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It will work on certain applications. What application are you using ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

For eg : Open TextEdit application from Application. Or open Pages application if you have it.

Then in TextEdit or Pages, double press the Fn key on keyboard or click on Edit menu and select Start Dictation. Then speak and it will be appear on that application

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OSX
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

OS X is name of version of software of your Mac. I mean on what application are you wanting to type the text ? TextEdit, Word, Pages etc

Open TextEdit application from Application. Or open Pages application if you have it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok did that, and it said it was not available in English???
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Here, see this Youtube video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77tm3sgwRP0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
text edit
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

See this Youtube video to know how it works --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77tm3sgwRP0

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you get any errors, then please tell me the exact error message you are getting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok…i get back to you…but…do I need a microphone like the guy on the video was using
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought there was an internal one
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

No, internal mic will work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cool thanks…;will try
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

No problem. If you face any difficulty, please let me know.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

There is one more thing. There is "Enhanced Dictation" option. Make sure it is enabled in System Preferences > Dictation and Speech.

Also in there, set the Shortcut to "Press Fn (Function) Key Twice. So in any application, you can press Fn twice to speak to text. The Enhance Dictation is 1.2 GB file, so it will take a while to download it and ready to use.