David
David, Mac Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

In setting up new ipad mini I sent test email to my daughter

In setting up new ipad mini I sent test email to my daughter at***@******.***.
This came up as being sent from Lin Fowler (my daughter-in-law) instead of myself (Beryl Fowler). I do not understand why this has occurred and would be glad if you could correct it for me.
Beryl Fowler (*****@******.***)
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer. I am reviewing your question and will reply ASAP.

Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

Please correct me if I am wrong. The iPad you are using to email, is for your daughter and your daughters email address. You have configure an email account on the iPad and sent an email to your daughter-in-law from it?

Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

Sorry disregard that last question.

Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

The iPad is yours, the test email was to your daughter, and the email appeared to have been sent by your daughter-in-law. Sorry, I just needed to clear that up.

Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

This could only have happened if your daughter-in-law set up the email account on your iPad.

Did your daughter-in-law set up the iPad initially, or ever use it to add her own email account?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just need to be reassured that my name will appear as sending an email and not that of my daughter-in-law Lin Fowler.
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

You will need to configure your email account on the iPad to do that. I can help you to do that.

Did your daughter-in-law set it up for you?

Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

On the home screen, tap Settings.

Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

What to you see at the top? How many Accounts? Is one your daughter-in-laws account?

Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

If it is you need to ask if you can delete it or if you need to keep it.

If your account is not there we need to add it which I can give instructions for.

If it is there, I can show you how to make sure you choose the right account when sending so that it comes from your email and therefore your name.

Let me know what accounts you can see listed in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My daughter-in-law did not set up my gmail.account. It was set up by a responsible computer expert.
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

Ok, the test email you sent mysteriously came from your daughter-in-laws account even though you sent it from your iPad. The most likely reason is that when it was set up your daughter-in-laws email was used to set it up.

If you can check in Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

If you can list what accounts are listed at the top it will clear up what is actually happening.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I get to the Home Screen to view the accounts? I regret I am not very knowledgeable on using the computer.
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

That's ok, I can post each step needed.

The home button brings you back to the home screen.

Press it and it brings you back to all the apps.

Settings looks grey and has a mechanical look.

Tap it and then on the left hand side swipe with the touchscreen to scroll the list up and down.

Look for Mail, Contacts, Calendars and tap it.

The list of accounts appears on the top right.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am doing this from my computer which is Windows 7. My Home symbol does not seem to be the same as yours!
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

Oh. I was of the understanding that this was a question regarding your iPad.

Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

Did you send the email from your computer to the iPad?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The problem is on the ipad, but it is not yet fully set up and I am having to use my computer to communicate with you.
The original test message was sent from the new ipad and it was on the ipad that the problem occurred. I have been using my gmail account on my computer and my Samsung tablet for several years without any problems. It is only on the new ipad that the problem has occurred. I was hoping that it would be much simpler to sort this out. and I just do not have the time to spend much more time on it. Can this be sorted out more simply?
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

It can only be sorted out on the iPad. I would need a few minutes with you to fix it, but on the iPad.

I would need you to find the Settings app on the iPad and check what accounts are installed. The steps would be as above.

That's ok, I can post each step needed.

Let me know this so we can go to the next step.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have found Settings and pressed it but there are no accounts shown at all. Nothing has yet been installed on the ipad.
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

When you tap Settings, tap "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" in the list on the left. You might need to scroll.

You said there was a test email sent from the iPad.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am so sorry I cannot continue with this. I do not yet have much experience with this new device and am getting more and more confused. I will have to leave it until I can get some more help from my son-in-law. But in the meantime my problem is not solved. Perhaps I can consult you later. Many thanks. *****
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

If the test email was sent from the iPad I would need you to use the iPad for any steps to find out what accounts are listed. If none then the test email must have been sent from a webmail account. But it's more likely that your daughter-in-laws account is on the iPad, and we can either remove it or add your account and make it the default.

Let me know when you can check "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" for any accounts. Sincerely, David.

Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you can consult me later. It's easy to get bogged down on accounts and devices, which is installed where etc. happens to the best of us. Let me know when you can continue. Please take a moment to rate my answer using the star rating, and get back to me when you can. Sincerely, David.