David
David, Mac Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

I can't open 'photos' on my Mac. I get a small strip on

Customer Question

Hi, I can't open 'photos' on my Mac. I get a small white strip on screen saying 'closing the library' but nothing happens - and it won't let me close down the computer...
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer. I am reviewing your question and will reply ASAP.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

First of all Force Quit Photos. Press Command-Alt-Esc and click Photos and Force Quit.

When Photos is closed, restart your Mac.

When you have restarted the Mac, click Finder. Click the Go menu at the top of the screen and click Pictures.

Select the item called "Photos Library" and press Enter on the keyboard.

Rename "Photos Library" to "Photos Library old" and press Enter again.

Next try to open Photos and see what happens. The library will look empty if it opens, just get back to me with what happens first.

David.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to Force Quit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****, Thanks for getting back my access to my photos. Your response was more than enough - I was about to go out so once I had access to my photos I failed to carry out the other instructions you left (renaming etc...).I'll probably try these later today...Very good service - thanks
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome. It might not be necessary to do the remaining steps, but having a backup is very important and I would strongly recommend it. There are many ways to make a good backup. If you'd like to get back to me to ask about that please do.

Best regards,

David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi David, having now restored my photos (for which again my thanks) I've just tried your further advice (restart Mac, click Finder and photos), but photos does not appear in the list, so have not pursued the final stages. The main thing is I have recovered access to my photos, for which once again my thanks. Question: is there an extra charge for your taking over my Mac and doing the remaining job for me?
Yours,
Alan
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alan,

The further steps were if Force Quit did not give you access to Photos again. That's something I thought might happen if the library was damaged. You should have a Photos Library in your Pictures folder. Click Finder, then the Go menu at the top of the screen, then Pictures. It should be one of the items in the list.

I don't see the need to do remote assistance, there would be an extra charge but I don't think it is necessary.

As long as you can find the "Photos Library" in the Pictures folder, then the job is complete. The only remaining thing I would recommend is some form of backup. You could easily do that with Time Machine and an external USB hard disk.

https://support.apple.com/HT201250

Let me know how it goes finding the Photos Library and if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

David.