technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
65369237

No matter what headset/mic I use, I can not hear myself

Customer Question

No matter what headset/mic I use, I can not hear myself through the headset when I speak into the mic. Is there anything I can do to enable sidetone with my apple MacBook or a mic you can suggest I purchase so I can hear my own voice through the headset?
Category: Mac
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Will see what I can do to help.

Modern headsets generally do not produce "sidetone" as it degrades audio quality. Also, most people prefer not to hear sidetone, as the voice can generally be heard through the headset, unless that headset blocks sound and/or the person has hearing impairment.

So, how it works on most devices and computers now, is that "sidetone" or any other audio mixing is done by the application driving the headphones and microphone.

What app are you using where you need or want sidetone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your prompt response. I am using quicktime player for recording gameplay and the headset I use cancels background noise so I end up shouting to hear my voice. I also use a mic for skype. I have used some third-party applications but the lag makes it impossible to use.

With a Mac, it would seem your options out there are very limited for sidetone. While there is a plugin for skype to produce sidetone, it's only available for Windows.

I have found this app that you can try that may work.

https://github.com/tallforasmurf/Sidetone

You can also search for other options, but the "rule" is going to be in my initial answer to your question. For the most part, your headset isn't going to produce sidetone, unless you buy a very special headset that advertises that it will, or someone has figured out a hack to make it produce sidetone. However, the problem with hacks is that they may just introduce feedback.

IMPORTANT

Please remember to rate my time and help before you leave. I continue to help before and after rating until you are satisfied. I strive for excellent service, and a positive rating is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank You.