Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

I tried to download OS sierra to my macbook pro last night.

Hi, I tried to download OS sierra to my macbook pro last night. This failed and now I cant boot my laptop. On switching on it goes without any usual log on sound straight to password ***** when entered goes for about three- four seconds then comes up with a multi language statement saying to switch off and try again then it just goes around in circles. Any ideas??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you power off the mac, hold the SHIFT and with it held down, power it on until you get to the sign in screen

Can you get to this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trying to sort this out. I have got the sign in screen up and ready.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, now try to sign in and tell me what happens please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Starts loading then after a couple of seconds it puts up computer coding randomly across the screen then goes blank then returns to the sign in screen.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, can you do the following please

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Tell me if you can now sign in please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No start up sounds tried it anyway and loading bar at bottom went across after a moment or two the reset password ***** up suggesting I had forgotten my password ***** I haven't gives three options :
" I forgot my password"
"My password *****'t work when logging in "
"My keyboard isn't working when typing my password ***** log in"
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, what happens when you choose the second option?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Enter your password ***** unlock the volume"Macintosh HD" I have done that and apparently my reset password ***** as "There are no users on this volume to reset the password *****"
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No went back to reset password ***** but at least the start up sound was made!
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

you could not get to the utility? can you try a few times please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Now in utilities and got to the Macintosh HD which button I dont have "repair' I have Erase, Restore, Mount & Info. I presume Restore but wont do that until you confirm best safe than sorry!!
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

You should have then First Aid? you see this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did first aid as you said this is not now highlighted the three I mentioned are highlighted.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh + Info
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, we will have to the try to restore, do this please and let me know if it then lets you in.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It says restore process failed Click done to continue
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it that the Capacity is 498.91GB and used says 498.91GB?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, it has lost all its data, it is possible the hard disk has totally failed, but the only way we can check this is an Erase and then a Restore.

It will clear everything on the hard drive, all files but this is not accessible anyway

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK I'll erase then shall I?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have no disks to reload as it was preloaded with when purchased.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

yes, do this, the restore reinstalls the operating system after you do this

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Asking for a name and a format obviously the name is***** what is the format please
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Which options do you have for format?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
6 options
Mac OS Extended (journaled)
Mac OS Extended (journaled, encrypted)
Mac OS Extended (case sensitive, Journaled)
Mac OS Extebded (case sensitive, journaled, encrypted)
Ex-FAT
MS-DOS (FAT)
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

choose Mac OS Extended (journaled)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK done do I restore now?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

yes please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Done now what?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

what do you now see on the screen?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still have Disk Utility on screen. Where are you in the world?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, exit it and tell me what now happens please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Restarted it and now have blank screen, then apple logo, then loading bar, screen turned to blue ambient and bar retstarted then Failed to open MacOS Installer. The path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged. Options Restart or Startup Disk
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, choose Startup Disk, what options do you then get?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Asked if I wanted to restart then wne t off for a while and then it tried to reboot again. Start up sound, apple logo, loading bar blue ambient the back to failed to open Mac OS Installer same message as before.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, go back t Disk Utility please, then do a restore again and restart and tell me if it then starts please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just whilst its doing its thaing it said restarting using OS X Base system Mac OS 10.12
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, tell me what happens when it does this please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Same process and same result. I have to go out shortly for an appointment for the rest of the day what do I do?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

it is ok, we have confirmed the issue

It is the internal hard drive that has faulted, it faulted during the upgrade

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the mac to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you unfortunately this is an old Macbook therefore its probably not worth doing anything with it. I think I may go for an ipad as I have this Mac to play with. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

True, if it is out of warranty you need to carefully consider if it is worth the investment to you.

If you need anything else, please let me know

And please remember the service rating via one of the stars at the top then submit so I am credited

Thank you Don