Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a DiskStation, but I've lost the connection on my

Customer Question

Hey there, I have a DiskStation, but I've lost the connection on my network - I can find it online, but it's no longer registering in Finder. I've tried to Go to server, but no luck - can you help?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please give me some details as to what is happening.

For instance:

1 - has this setup worked before, where it is?

2 - how old is the DiskStation ?

3 - any major events lately, for the DiskStation, or the network ?

4 - if a login to the DiskStation is required for your computer to see it (i.e. for it to be visible in Finder), then is it logged in, on that computer ? even if you think it is logged in, sometimes the login and authorization state can be so 'jammed up', that you have to log out completely, restart the computer, then log in again, to get it working/authorized/up/found again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It has worked before, but I have since added an Airport Extreme, and moved things about abut. I also route my network through Powerline plugs, so the main Mac is connected via Ethernet. I had issues with the DiskStation updating, and had fallen behind with updates. I spent a good while fiddling about with settings and have now got the DiskSattion up to date and visible via Safari. So at least I know that's working. However, having got the Airport Extreme the DiskStation has been unable to connect through Finder - as far as its aware the DiskStation doesn't exist?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've tried Go to server, and used the IP address, but it continues to say it can't find it?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can log into the DiskStation on Safari, but don't seem able to use it fully. For instance, I tried to access it remotely whilst on holiday but no luck, so I'm not sure I've got it properly set up.

OK.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, as an aside, my Apple TV is no longer recognised as being on the network; so I'm wondering how to get the airport extreme to recognise my devices?

Thank you for the very articulate and detailed roundup of the components of the situation.

I must clarify for myself:

It isn't that your computer isn't accessing the DiskStation... you can access it from Safari on your computer.

How do you access it from Safari? through what URL or what sort of URL (please do not post any username or password ***** this is NOT a secure forum and your information will be visible to anybody.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I use the DSM mobile site and enter my password ***** username
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
in the URL it's the IP address of my DiskStation - a series of numbers only
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I also have it saved as a favourite in bookmarks

OK. Thanks for clarifying.

Now I think this shows that what I said before, could be the case.

But you say there's a PowerLine network adapter involved, and also your Apple TV is not recognized or not on the network.

Is the PowerLine adapter connection vital, or on the link that leads to, the DiskStation ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My Mac connects directly to the Powerline via ethernet, the Diskstation is plugged directly into the Extreme

Ideally, I would conjure up a network map with wizardry.

But instead, let me ask a series of questions, please:

1. Diskstation-to-Extreme by Ethernet or Firewire, OK.

2. Apple Mac computer by Ethernet to PowerLine adapter, OK.

3. Then, what is there between PowerLine and Extreme ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think there is a direct connection; my Sky router is in the loop; but that is why I needed the Extreme, as their was no way the Sky router could act as a bridging wifi router to allow the DiskStation access - when I first connected it all up, the DiskStation was visible in Finder? But after completing the updates it disappeared.

Right.

When you access the DiskStation through its IP Address etc. in Safari browser, you're using a somewhat different method than going through the Finder.

The issue I raised about authentication or login status when accessing through Finder, might be valid.

But also, what's the network path that Finder has to take? if it is hopping through too many routers, too many bridges, too many adapters (probably the PowerLine adapter, since they often throw a loop into local networks), then it may simply not be possible.

Make sure you're logged in! as far as the computer is concerned, not just the access-through-Safari... to the DiskStation.

(Or is it, that Finder ought to prompt for login, for username and password, and doesn't get that far?)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
mmm, I"ve just checked and the Extreme does have two connections to my Powerline network - which are, in theory connected to my apple tv / and bluray player. The DiskStation is also plugged straight into the Extreme - is there a way to identify them in Airport utility?

I think the issue would be best addressed this way:

1. determine your computer's IP address

2. from that determine the address range of the PowerLine adapter (likely to be a problem.)

3. And let me know the DiskStation's local IP address (if it isn't something like

192.168.x.x

or

10.x.x.x

or

172.x.x.x

then don't let me know what it is, please.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've identified both = they are like the first one you mention, how do I determine the range of my Powerline?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you need to know the numbers exactly?

OK, good.

When you configured your Powerline adapter, you must have configured it to a network IP Address, correct?

Do you know what that was?

Thanks, ***** ***** not needed. Just trying to assess what sub-net each part is on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I configured it with a disk on a PC - don't have the network address?:(

I see.

Then I confess I don't have a solution to this.

It's best that I Opt Out of the case, with apologies. ... but first:

Can you open a Terminal window on your Apple computer? (Ctrl-T will do that, usually.)

Then type this info the Terminal window (assuming your DiskStation's IP Address locally is 192.168.1.10, but substitute whatever that address actually is into the command):

ping 192.168.1.10

and let me know what responses the command produces (mind: put in your DiskStation's actual IP Address on the local network, like the one you put in the URL when accessing it in Safari)...?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it says 56 data bytes, then keeps repeating request timeout for icmp_seq 0,1,2,3 etc

OK. Hold Ctrl, press C, to end the command.

In case I didn't get through... what is the IP address of your DiskStation, as entered in Safari when accessing it through Safari browser?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
192.168.1.241

Good.

What results do you get from

ping 192.168.1.241

?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just says 56 data bytes, then 12 packets transmitted, 0 packets received - 100% packet loss

No network path or not a ping-path.

I've run out of ideas and must Opt Out. This opens the case to other Experts. Thanks for your patience so far.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, thanks for your help thus far.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 month ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, I'm still keen to find a solution... please keep trying:)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any luck finding someone else?
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This doesn't seem like much of a service for £26 a month?Keep trying please
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Forget it, managed to sort it myself. Please cancel my subscription.