Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

IMac has grey screen with flashing folder and?. What do I do

Customer Question

iMac has grey screen with flashing folder and ? . What do I do
Category: Mac
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 23 days ago.

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

You can reply to me here by typing in the box below please.

Try these steps please.

Turn off your Mac by pressing and holding the power button for a few seconds.

1. Press the power button once to turn your Mac back on. Immediately press and hold the Command and R keys on your keyboard to start your Mac from macOS Recovery. Keep these two keys held down until you see an Apple logo or globe.
  2. If prompted, select a Wi-Fi network to connect to the Internet as part of startup.
  3. After the macOS Utilities window appears, choose Startup Disk from the Apple menu.
  4. Select your startup disk, then click Restart.

If you don't see your startup disk in the Startup Disk window, close the window and try the next sections of this article.

If you don't see your startup disk

If you don't see your startup disk in the Startup Disk window, use these steps to see if your startup disk needs directory repair.

1. Open Disk Utility from the macOS Utilities window.
  2. In the Disk Utility window, select your startup disk (usually named "Macintosh HD") from the left side of the window.
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. Click the Repair Disk button to verify and repair any issues with your startup disk.
  5. After your disk is successfully repaired, quit Disk Utility.
  6. Choose Startup Disk from the Apple menu. Select your startup disk, then click Restart. If you still don't see your Startup Disk, try reinstalling macOS on your startup disk.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Disc utility can't repair the disc, and restore backed up files
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 22 days ago.
  1. Choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts and you hear the startup chime, hold down the Command and R keys.

When the Apple logo appears, you can release the keys.

2. Click Disk Utility, then click Continue.

3. In the sidebar, select the disk you want to repair.

4. Click the First Aid button .

If Disk Utility tells you the disk is about to fail, back up your data and replace the disk. You can’t repair it. Otherwise, continue to step 6.

5. Click Run.

If Disk Utility reports that the disk appears to be OK or has been repaired, you’re done. You can click Show Details to see more information about the repairs. Otherwise, you may need to do one of the following.

• If Disk Utility reports “overlapped extent allocation” errors, two or more files occupy the same space on your disk, and at least one of them is likely to be corrupted. You need to check each file in the list of affected files. Most of the files in the list have aliases in a DamagedFiles folder at the top level of your disk.

• If you can replace a file or re-create it, delete it.

• If it contains information you need, open it and examine its data to make sure it hasn’t been corrupted.

• If Disk Utility can’t repair your disk or it reports “The underlying task reported failure,” try to repair the disk or partition again. If that doesn’t work, back up as much of your data as possible, reformat the disk, reinstall macOS, then restore your backed-up data.

• If your Mac has a Fusion Drive and you see a flashing question mark or alert, see the troubleshooting section of the Apple Support article About Fusion Drive.

If you continue to have problems with your disk or it can’t be repaired, it may be physically damaged and need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

did that work for you?