Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

How can i retreve my password to enter my i mac computer

Customer Question

how can i retreve my password ***** enter my i mac computer
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its coming up with the hint
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

How old is this Mac ? Do you know the version of OS X you are running on it ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
approx 8 yrs sorry dont know
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not sure
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

There is a way to reset it, but the instructions will be different and based on the version of OS X you are using. So we can try all. Let's try the instructions for the newest OS X.

Follow the steps below to reset the password (this is for version 10.7 or later. So if this doesn't work, that means you are running version 10.6.8 or lower)

Turn off your Mac.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Click on the “Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal".

Type (without space) --> resetpassword

Press return. This will bring Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at top column, select the user account from the drop down under it, confirm the user account and then change password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.

Turn it back on. After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create New Keychain.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can try the method of older OS X reset.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
nothing worked
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you connected remotely
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hello are you still there
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Since you are locked out, secure remote won't work. So I will send instructions here

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

We can boot your Mac to a special mode called Single User Mode. Then type some commands/texts there which will force your Mac to bring the new account setup screen. So you can setup a brand new admin account and then use that account to reset the password ***** your original account. This might seem a little difficult, but it is actually easy.

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Turn off/shut down your Mac.

• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

(If it returns any errors after any command above, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly)

When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer)

Login to new account. Then in new account (which will be blank), go to System Preferences > Accounts or Users & Groups, select your old account and change/reset the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account.

If you get any message about keychain, then follow the steps below to solve it.

Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.

From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.

Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.

Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).

Quit Keychain Access.

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will walk you through it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

commands in details if you want

mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press enter/return>

rm<press space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<press enter/return>

shutdown<press space>-h<press space>now<press enter/return>

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have tried your way what next
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.
We can boot your Mac to a special mode called Single User Mode. Then type some commands/texts there which will force your Mac to bring the new account setup screen. So you can setup a brand new admin account and then use that account to reset the password ***** your original account. This might seem a little difficult, but it is actually easy. Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode. • Turn off/shut down your Mac.• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc mount -uw /rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDoneshutdown -h now (If it returns any errors after any command above, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly) When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer) Login to new account. Then in new account (which will be blank), go to System Preferences > Accounts or Users & Groups, select your old account and change/reset the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account. If you get any message about keychain, then follow the steps below to solve it. Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).Quit Keychain Access. If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will walk you through it. ________________ commands in details if you want mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press enter/return>rm<press space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<press enter/return>shutdown<press space>-h<press space>now<press enter/return>
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i think i will have to return itto apple
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Did you get the second instruction ? Could you please try that ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it says no such file
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

You probably didn't enter the commands correctly. Here are the commands in details

Note : there is a dot before AppleSetupDone

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its switch it self off
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Now turn it on. It will go through some start up. let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok switch on
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Is it showing any kind of welcome screens or such ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its got a small box with use english on it
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Great ! You are on right track. Now follow onscreen instructions. At some point, you will be asked whether you want to transfer information. Select Don't transfer. If asked to sign in with Apple ID, then don't sign in. Skip that step. This will boot into desktop. Let me know once you are here

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hi i have create a computer account
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Do it. We are going to use this account to reset the password ***** your original account

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
do you want me to fill in the details
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Yes, then follow onscreen instructions to create a new password. This will load the desktop of new account. Let me know once you get in here

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok i have the home page on it now
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i wont lose all my photos etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

No worries. You won't lose anything. All your stuffs are your old account.

Now, go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Users & Groups or Accounts.

Now, you will see your old account there. Select it and click Reset Password. let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have the user & groups up when i press on my old account its not highlighting under that its got login options
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Click on the small lock there and it will ask for the password ***** this account which you set earlier. Unlock it and then it will allow you to choose old account

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
do i press the lock to finish
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Did you reset password ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
reset password
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is that it
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Now click on the Apple menu and select Logout. Then login to the old account using the new password. Let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but do i click the lock
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

No need

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its asking me update keychain
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Does it show option to create new keychain ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Do that. This will load your original account. Check if all your files are there

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is keychain nessary
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Yes, that is where your Mac stores the passwords. You need to click create new keychain.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
all back
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Great ! Check if everything is working and write down your new password

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
all good
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Great ! You can keep the new account. If you don't want the new account, then you can delete it from System Preferences >Users and Groups.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent Service or 5 stars and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you.

Best Regards,
Ashik

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
just comfrim your charging me £22 for your service
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Sorry, I don't have access to your account details to check the charge. You can contact the customer support at***@******.*** to know about the charge.

And if the agreed amount £22 is, then there is no additional charge.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have lost myemail accounts
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

You won't lose anything with the process we tried, but your Mac will just ask for password ***** the email accounts again. So just re-enter them.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have lost them the book i kept all my passwords has be destroyed
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry, you need the passwords to re-establish the connections to email. This is something which I don't have control as I don't have access to any of your personal stuffs.

If you don't remember the password ***** email, then you have to reset them.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how do i
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

What is your email address ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

You can reset password ***** here --> https://account.live.com/password/reset

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
didnt work
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

What do you mean didn't work ? At what step do you have trouble ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
any idea were i can retreve user names and passwords i am on connection doctor
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Username is ***** ***** address

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

What happens when you try to reset password ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

I already sent you the site to do that.

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Hello there, How is it going ?

Note : It seems like you got an additional $5 charged. You can contact customer support for its refund

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All good thank you (price please) is it £22
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

I believe so and I believe you got charged an extra 5 USD as you accepted a offer. You can contact customer support to refund it.

Best Regards,

Ashik

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That was for the remote service
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not going to rate you until I get a final figure
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Sorry, we couldn't use secure remote service as you're locked out from the Mac. So you can get the refund of that 5 USD

And Yes, I believe the question charge is £22 (or £24 due to conversation rate to USD)

To be sure, you can email to customer support at***@******.*** to know about the price.

Best Regards,

Ashik