Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My MacBook pro (mid 2012) is ridiculously slow. Any tips? I

Customer Question

Hi thereMy MacBook pro (mid 2012) is ridiculously slow.Any tips? I am currently downloading CleanMyMac3Thanks
Julia
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

First of all, DO NOT use any kind of cleaning programs as they does more harm than any good. Some of them are even malwares.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks! It is sierra 19.12.4
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
10.12.14
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry! 10.12.4
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

This usually happens if the system files are corrupted or if there is any issue with the hard drive. It could be the hard drive that is failing. We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). Click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20seconds. Does it boot into desktop and work there properly ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Brilliant. Will try and report back. Thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

No problem

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
On the second option, is the option key the alt key? I have now done both but it still seems ridiculously slow!! It has taken this long to do those two steps. The second reboot took about 20 minutes!! The repair took about 1 second so not sure if that was right?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Could you please give me the model number or serial number of your MAc ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
C02K70B9F1G4
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

This is the non-retina model Macbook Pro. Right ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Mid 2012
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

That means it has the traditional hard drive and it is possible that it is failing. When the hard drive is failing, your Mac will not be able to read from and write to the hard drive with full performance and speed and that is causing it to slow down. Before we conclude to that, let's do a few more troubleshooting.

But first, I want you to backup all your important stuffs because the troubleshooting on a failing hard drive may make the situation worse. Please backup everything and let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All my files are on Dropbox
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How would I back up things like Mail?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

It is better you get an external hard drive and then do a full backup using Time Machine, Do you have an external hard drive ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do. Will need to dig out. How do I back up absolutely everything?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

We can use a backup app named Time Machine. Let me know when you get it and I will send instructions