Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Theer, About 4 years ago I bought my imac from my previous

Customer Question

Hi theer,
About 4 years ago I bought my imac from my previous employer who went into administration. I cant remember the administrator and log in details to update my imac, what can I do please
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of macOS are you using on it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure as am at work at the moment and my mac is at home.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

It is easy to reset the administrator password, but the instructions will be different based on your OS version number.

Do you have any idea about it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not until I get home sorry
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

If it is Mac OS X 10.7 or later, then you can do the following steps to reset the password. If it is lower than that, let me know and I will send another way to reset it.

You can reset the password ***** booting into Mac OS Utilities screen. First, go to System Preferences select iCloud. Scroll down and if the Keychain option is enabled, then turn it off or uncheck it. Ignore it if you don't see this step.

Then follow the steps below to reset the password.

Turn off your Mac.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS Utilities” menu.

Click on the “Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal".

Type (without space) --> resetpassword

Press return. This will bring Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at the top column, select the user account from the drop-down under it, confirm the user account and then change the password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.

Turn it back on. After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create New Keychain.

If you are still getting keychain error, then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

In Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu at the top bar and select Library. This will open Library folder. Trash Keychain folder in there and restart your Mac.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay will try this when I get home. How do I get back to you?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Once the admin password ***** ***** how do I then set my own password *****?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me any time you want.

The Reset Password ***** does allow you to set your own password

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try this when I get home then thank you
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry for delay. I have been in hospital. I am at my Mac now and it’s OS X 10.6.8 so the instructions I have won’t work on my mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.
There is another way to reset the password ***** that version. Do you have the OS X disc ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’m not sure where it is I will look now
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.
We can boot your Mac to a special mode called Single User Mode. Then type some commands/texts there which will force your Mac to bring the new account setup screen. So you can setup a brand new admin account and then use that account to reset the password ***** your original account. This might seem a little difficult, but it is actually easy.Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.• Turn off/shut down your Mac.
• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode
• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etcmount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now(If it returns any errors after any command above, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly)When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer)Login to new account. Then in new account (which will be blank), go to System Preferences > Accounts or Users & Groups, select your old account and change/reset the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account.If you get any message about keychain, then follow the steps below to solve it.Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.
From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.
Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).
Quit Keychain Access.If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will walk you through it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I haven’t got the original keyboard as it broke so just using a normal plug in keyboard so no Apple sign key
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.
On Windows keyboard, Windows key is the Apple keyAlt key is the Option key
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry not working
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

It will work. Please try again.

Were you able boot into Single User Mode?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Windows and S keys for 20 seconds. Does it boot into any screen other than normal screen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No just loads to desktop
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Turn it off completely and unplug it. Then plug it back, turn it on, and this time hold down Windows and S keys immediately after the startup sound.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you mean the alt and S keys
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

No, Windows and S key

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would it be easier for you to do it remotely
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Windows logo key

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I know you won’t knacker up my computer lol x
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, secure remote will not work on resetting password. So we have to continue here

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

JustAnswer is

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay it says if you want to boot the system: exit
: / root #
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

(If it returns any errors after any command above, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly)

When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer)

Login to new account. Then in new account (which will be blank), go to System Preferences > Accounts or Users & Groups, select your old account and change/reset the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It says
Us English for the main language
What do I do now?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Follow the onscreen instructions. Create a new admin account.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have selected our WiFi network and underneath it asks for a password ***** this be the admin password ***** my password
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

It is your WiFi password. You can skip that step if you don't know it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

How is it going?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’m up to ‘Create your Account’ is this my admin acct
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay! It says my mac is set up and ready to go. Do I set up my password *****?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

If it boot into desktop, then in new account (which will be blank), go to System Preferences > Accounts or Users & Groups, select your old account and change/reset the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account wtith new password.

You can also use your new account if you want

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It has my photo which has just been added and next to it says change password. Then it goes to old password ***** I can’t remember
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Are you in new account or old account?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
New account
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Then you should be able to change the password ***** old account using new account's password. If asked for old password, use the new account's password

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I unclicled the lock them made password ***** but nothing has happened
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

After changing password, you need to logout from Apple menu, login to new account and then you can start using with new password.

If you don't have any important stuffs on the old account, then you can start using this new account.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It says old password ***** ***** a
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Restart your Mac and login to new account again. Then go to System Preferences > User Accounts, unlock the lock and let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But my son has things that were stored on the desktop will they have gone mpw
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

They are all on old account. Go to System Preferences > User Accounts, unlock the lock and let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay I can see his account and unlocked the padlock clicked on his account and it asks for his mobile me. Username so wii the stuff off the desktop be in his login
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

All of his stuffs are under his account. Click on his account, then do you see Change Password ***** Reset Password?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
reset password
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Do it

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Reset his password
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay reset it to the same as mine then I won’t forget. What now
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

That is your admin password. You can logout from Apple menu and login to his account and continue using it

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still can’t see his stuff that was on the desktop
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I just close the computer now? And when he logs in he will see what was on the desktop or will it reappear if I restart the computer
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Click on Apple menu and click Log Out. Select his account, and log in to his account.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It only shows my old account and my new account
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Login to your old account

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can’t remember my old password ***** is why I have changed to a new account and my new password ***** ***** for my old account
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Didn't you set a new password ***** the old account from the new account? You need to use that password ***** login to old account. We created the new account just for changing the password ***** old account.