Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Mazda 3 diesel 1.6cc 2008No problems then sudddenly losts

Customer Question

Mazda 3 diesel 1.6cc 2008 No problems then sudddenly losts its oomph. Has been on computer and showing PDF problem, have cleaned CAT, pipes from CAT to flow meter has been renewed. Also glow plugs have power on to them all the time. Can you tell us how long the power to glow plugs should be? If the the glow plugs being on would this send car into limp mode? When started car will rev up only 2 times then revs will not go beyond 2000 revs. What is suggested for next step?

in UK

Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name isXXXXX happy to help you with this ...

Can I just ask - what is the mileage on the car?

What is its service /recent repair history?

Do you have any fault lights / messages on the dash re the DPF system or any other fault lights at all?

Kind Rgds, MKE.....................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mileage is just under 80,000 miles.

Service history, last service at 65,000. We have had the car from new.

Has had a change of oil with Mazda oil and PDF looks fine. Has 11 months MOT.

This is the first fault the car has had since new.

There is no lights on, on the dash or messages re the DPF.

Can you please answer the question about glow plugs? How long is power meant to go to them and if if there is power going to them all the time will this result in the car going into limp mode?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Iain... Thank you for your reply.

I always ask for pertinent info before I go about answering any questions - just so that I have a full rounded out overview ;)

On the subject of the glow plugs - thats normal. Old diesel models only had power to the glow plugs for starting the engine - that was their only function. Newer models - such as you have, the glow plugs are not actually used for starting ...unless the temps go down to circa minus 10...or something like that... they are actually used for emission control - hence the continual power feed... So no, there is no fault there so no that wont cause a limp mode situation.

Its very very common on these models to have problems with the Dpf system - and that will cause exactly the symptoms you have. So much so that a lot of owners opt to have it removed and the ecu re programmed to suit..., then you never have the problem again. Its quite legal and actually improves Mpg some should think about doing that yourself as an owner - you would need a company that can do that for you that has the correct reprogramming equipment.

Now you dont have any fault messages for the Dpf system though - so assuming the warning system is working, I wouldn't suspect that - at least not at this stage... BUT.. you mentioned in your original question... " Has been on computer and showing PDF problem".... ( pdf - should be Dpf ) ... So... it seems that the warning system isn't working correctly - the signs are there if you are getting it up as a fault on the diagnostics.... and too - that will certainly invoke Limp mode - but even if its not in limp mode- the sheer fact that its blocking will cause your extreme loss of power.

So from what you have described, the signs are there - So in answer to your question at the outset - the next step is to have the Dpf system checked / serviced / cleaned - and from what you have said, that should see this sorted for you.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, sorry my mistake in typing it is DPF. As said all the system has already been taken off and cleaned, this has not sorted the Limp mode problem. It has been on twice to the first garages computer, which showed DPF problem, at that point the system was cleaned and pipes to flow meter replaced along with a new diesel filter. It then was booked into a garage that does Mazda repairs to get regenerated, but this could not be done as problems remain, they put it on their computer and again DPF fault came up. Both garages do not know what the problem is as the system has been cleaned and pipes replaced. Hence why questions now surrounding glow plugs. Taking into account what you syggested has already been done what is the next step? At this time with your answer i am no further forward with what to do. As said pipes to flow meter has been replaced but could the flow meter be causing limp mode? There has to be something else causing the problems as its not the obvious

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Iain -

Thank you for your reply - thats fine no problem.

I do understand / did understand - what you were saying Iain - and your reply above backs up what I have said - that there must be an issue with the Dpf system / filter still... regardless of what has been done to it already by way of cleaning etc - ( Remember I said earlier too that these suffer with such issues - and those that are continual problematic, a lot of people rather than spend and spend continual -just have it removed ... you may need to consider that option - these models really do give issues with this and it looks like yours could be yet another )

Generally once the cleaning is done -sensors replaced etc as needed, the system is connected to a diag machine which resets all/ warn system / fault warn etc - and thats that - but if on connection, the machine cant do it , because its still saying that the Dpf is faulty - then it wont do it and you still have a problem there -again regardless. If it wont respond to cleaning etc - teh next step is replacement of the Dpf system - or removal...

If you have any other faults with the engine management system - such as as you say, air flow meter - pipes etc - you will get a separate warning / light - and separate fault codes for that - for any of that... so as you haven't said you do , then I can only assume from here as above.... that the Dpf filter etc needs replacing - or removing....

You are further forward Iain - I have explained fully what the situation is that you have -- and too, that these models ( like the PAG range ) do tend to have these issues - hence what I have said to re your options - and the ways forward from here for you. Again - its a common / known issue with these - your ways forward then are as I have outlined above.. but let me know if I can help anymore.

Please do click on the OK ~ Excellent service ratings for me now at this point ...as I have answered your initial question and that is how Im credited for helping you.... Thank you in advance for that..

Kind Rgds- MIKE..

..........Nb - You can get back to me anytime you might wish / need - clicking the OK ratings service does not close you out -- Thank You again...

Best Rgds, MIKE.