Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mazda Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My car, a Mazda 2, normally starts without a problem, even

Customer Question

My car, a Mazda 2, normally starts without a problem, even when left outside for a long period of time. After turning the key, the igition is almost immediate.

But there are times when the ignition takes longer to take effect. I park every day in an underground garage and when I leave, almost always the car ignition does not work the first try. This phenomemon started a few months ago.

I thought it might be the incline of the car, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I must stress, that parked in other places the igition is without fault.

What could be causing the problem ?

Category: Mazda
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm happy to wait for an answer.

Bye for now

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this...

Please tell me the vehicle mileage -

Too - what is its service /recent repair history?

Have any plug in diagnostic tests been carried out at all for this issue ?

Kind Rgds, MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The vehicle mileage is around 80.000 kilometers. I have it serviced every 10,000 kilometers or so. The last service was a few months ago.

As far as I know, I don't think plug in diagnostic tests have been carried out.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply and info -

I have just noticed that you haven't said exactly what engine you have - so what is it , petrol or diesel ?

Plus - what year is the car ?

Too - when you say, "the ignition takes longer to take effect."... what exactly is happening when this happens... IE, does the engine crank / turn ok - but not start...or.. is it that the when turning the key - nothing happens at all - no engine cranking - no turning - no clicking or nosies ?

If its the latter - do you notice if the immobilser light does anything out of the ordinary when this happens - ie , flashing on the dash ?? Plus - do the dash lights do anything -such as go out - or dim while the key is turned etc ?

Please let me know on the above and then we can progress -

Kind Rgds, MIKE..............................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The engine does crank/turn okay. One a good day, it will ignite immediately. I recently left it at the airport, parked outside in mid Winter for 3 weeks. When I returend It turned on and ignited immediately. (That's what makes the problem so strange).

But when I park it indoors, - it does carnk/turn on - but the ignition is not immediate. Sometimes it takes a few seconds. If it let it continue cranking it will ultimately ignite. If I stop - it will ignite well in the second try.

Hope I've explained it a bit a clearer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Forgot to mention.

The car runs on petrol - it's a 2006 Mazda - 2000 engine