Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mazda Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have had the new plugs, leads and coil packs within the last

Customer Question

I have had the new plugs, leads and coil packs within the last six months. The RX8 is an 08 plate with under 30k on clock.
It has been starting first time and running very well.
I have not driven it for about one week and this morning I tried to start it and it just made a whirring noise and didn't seem to be firing. The battery is good. Any ideas please
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Josie, PLease continue to search, at least today. If you have no luck please let me know and I will try other means. Thanks

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

welcome to Just Answer/Pearl. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to assist
you with your question today

Do you still need help with your vehicle?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Mike,

Sorry I have not responded to your email. Firstly this email address is my wife's which I had to use because for some reason my own address [email protected] could not be acceepted by your organisation.

If you could reply to that it would be better. Secondly, my broadband has been down for the past week as I have cahnged supplier and I am having to use the library's computer.

About my RX8. Since my request, I have found that I am getting a spark to the rear plugs top and bottom, but none to the front pair! Like I say the coil packs are fairly new and to test them I used an old but serviceable pack to try for a spark. The answer was the same no spark.

This means that the coil packs are ok.

What I don't know is where the power comes from to the coil pack.

I would like you to see if you can solve the problem.

Bye the way before I tested for sparks I did think that perhaps the immobaliser had kicked in for some reason?

Roy Sumner

ps. I may not be able to respond to you emails as quickly as I would like as I may still have to find a computer to use!

The power to the cool pack comes from the ecu and if the immobilizer was causing a issue there would not be a spark at all. From the description of the issue that you are having, the issue is causing the problem here this was common on these vehicles. The best way to test the ecu is with a scan tool with the proper program to send and recurve commands from the ecu. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi mike, excuse my ignorance, but where is the ecu located.

Roy

The ecu is located in the drivers side under the dash and in some models were put on the passenger side under the dash. This would be way under the dash and some of the kick panels would need to be removed.