paulr2011
paulr2011, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hi I have been a technician for 11 years in main dealers. I am ready to assist you with your problems.
60718220

morning all got some issues with this mx5 i just bought, vehicle

Customer Question

morning all
got some issues with this mx5 i just bought, vehicle goes to stall/ power goes / no rev gauge, and the immobiliser light comes on, this all happens at any speed mostly 70mph, 2 seconds later power is back.then if you take you foot off the throttle deceleration, the vehicle violently jerky's.
any info would help
i have read about camshaft sensor faults, but i dont have an engine light come on just picture of a car and key in red,
the vehicle also on only one occasion did not start from cold, was turning over but no fuel going to engine and no spark, after 1hour it decided to start.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey, thanks for reply, I can wait, i need to no, many thanks

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

please keep trying to find out my problem, or give any feed back thanks

Expert:  paulr2011 replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I hope I can assist you. From the information you are giving, it sounds as tho the vehicle is briefly cutting out. I have come across this problem before on the mx-5. The fault was due to a faulty crankshaft position sensor. This will stop the engine to prevent damage to the engine. They are quite easy to replace, but the gap between the pulls and the sensor must be set correctly. The correct gap will be given to you with the instructions you get with the new sensor. Different makes of sensors have different gaps.
I hope this helps you. If you have any further questions, please ask.
Best wishes, Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hey

i fitted a new cam and crank sensor, but when the vehicle gets hot the same fault still occurs! there was not any instructions about setting uop the gap on the sensor tho,

the old crank sensor had a large groove in it, so i was quite sure we had found the problem, but after half hour of driving the vehicle cut off for a second, then had irratic, acceleration, then after hald a mile was fine again, could this be a coil pack or immobilizer issue or a fuel blockage.

any help would be great, as the 80£ on the crank sensor didnt help or could it pirely be the gap is incorrect?

Expert:  paulr2011 replied 3 years ago.
Hi, they usually do need a gap setting. Failing this, I would recommend that you get the vehicle to a garage and have a diagnostic check carrying out. As it is continuously doing it, a code should be left.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards, Paul